Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genuine type 911/74 or /75 RSR spare engine

Genuine type 911/74 or /75 RSR spare engine

VERY RARE GENUINE 3.0 RSR SPARE ENGINE –
    This is a repaired and assembled, complete and correct (except as noted) genuine type 911/74 (high butterfly) or 911/75 (slide valve) RSR engine.
    The engine was repaired, but not fully rebuilt (see below) and as a spare, does not include the oil filter plate or engine oil cooler; an ignition system or a fuel delivery system. It does contain all the ‘trick’ true RSR parts including: an unnumbered spares aluminum case with 83mm stud spacing; fiberglass jacketed head studs; twin (10mm) plug heads with original 43mm ports and Ate valves, in real RSR valve guides, Porsche springs, 906 non-adjustable rockers on moly coated shafts; Porsche RSR sprint profile center lube cams running in 4 (small) journal cam housings (83mm); light weight cam chain running gear and RSR intermediate shaft. It also includes the correct small fan and fan housing, with alternator and wiring, pulley, and rough light weight fiberglass ‘sheet metal’; a correct RSR Sachs ‘sporting’ clutch disc, correct RSR Sachs sport pressure plate with integrated release bearing and starter ring and the lightly damaged (flattened) exhaust headers that it rests upon. It includes a used set of Bosch spark plugs but not a set of injectors.
    Parts that are different from, but may actually improve upon, genuine 3.0 RSR are:
    1.) 98mm Mahle #504 1900 pistons / cylinders (Max Moritz type); 2.) a standard / standard (non-radiused) Porsche 6 bolt 70.4mm crank machined for ‘wedge mating’ to 3.) a Tilton 6 bolt ‘wedge mated’ solid aluminum flywheel and 4.) Hoeptner semi-mechanical chain tensioners.
    Years ago this engine dropped the #3 intake valve due to a suspected cracked valve spring retainer (Porsche steel) that damaged the valve, spring, rocker, piston, head and cam. The valve, retainer, spring, piston, and rocker were replaced, while the head and cam were expertly welded and repaired.
    The engine was reassembled to assure that it was complete in all respects with all its genuine RSR parts. This could be a perfect collection of spares but should not be run in anger until at least all the valve spring retainers have been confirmed good or replaced.
    I can assure you that it is complete, genuine and correct… a can not assure you that it is fresh and ready to install and race. Please call 817 540-4939 CDT with any questions or PM for more pictures. $35,000 OBO
    Seller also has a number of associated RSR spare parts for this engine, so please inquire.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now that is a engine!!!!!

If only I had a spare body to put it in!!

So, not much genuine interest in genuine type engine stuff. I thought with JPLonghood's goodies someone might want to build a real RSR motor.
    So, any interest in a genuine 110 liter plastic race tank, with strap, neck and cap, used;
    or maybe in a genuine 6 piece set of Glaverbel lightweight glass, used?
    This kind of stuff needs to get to the collectors that need it, so pricing is negotiable. PM's please.

Any other interest in genuine stuff?

Plenty - but your pricing is a bit "aggressive".
    Stuart Zeh
    sezme@aol.com

So what are you thinking would be fair? These things are pretty rare and were not cheap back in the day.

Looks very fairly priced to me, given the value of the cars these get installed into,......
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Rennsport View Post
    Looks very fairly priced to me, given the value of the cars these get installed into,......
    Given I know of another that the owner wouldn't consider selling at this price, agreed.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Please don't construe my comments as disrespectful - but, it's basically it's a core engine made up of an original case, heads, and cool "sheetmetal". You'll need to find LOTS of parts to find to make it a benchmark in-the-day motor. Just the induction system will cost you close to $20K. That says nothing about the crank, rods, pistons, cams, and the missing sheetmetal that will be really hard to find if they are not in spec - or if you want to replace them with "real" RSR parts.
    Stuart Zeh
    sezme@aol.com

I have spoken at length with the seller of this engine and I must say he knows what he has and really desires for it to go to the right home. I put pen to paper totaling up the individual parts and came up with what I see the high and low values are in today's market @ $25,000.00 minimum to a maximum of $40,000.00. Add a 5% premium to the fact that it's assembled as proof all parts are there, then figure on a tear down and reassembly by your trusted engine expert, and I feel a $35,000.00 sale would be well bought and well sold.

If it had the injection and ignition, it's maybe worth $75,000.00??? And the car it would go into is worth $500-650K??? I've spent over $20K on engines and installed them into vehicles with a total value of $40-60K.