Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 912R - rides again

It does come with another set of unmolested door panels and the under dash mounted radio comes right out. Runs across the scales at 1797 lbs without the radio!
    Various Porsche's

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Trask View Post
    Runs across the scales at 1797 lbs without the radio!

REALLY??? That is 300# less then stock!

I find that hard to fathom with no mention of fiberglass bumpers (and by the photos, they appear to be original) or fenders, plexiglass glazing, aluminimum banana arms or front cross member, apparently stock battery! The stock carpet, sound deadening, clock and rear seats must weigh a lot more then I thought! I better beef-up the rafters in my garage with all that stuff (plus the window lifts, wiper mechanism and heater blower) out of my coupe up there! Jacks going to weigh a LOT less then I thought! (though I am installing a roll bar)

I was hoping for maybe 1900# when I was done. If this car is under 1800#, then Jack will be at lot less. That is getting into the territory of Thornton's 902 weight I believe.

told you guys this car was sweet.

at 1797 lbs () with a trick motor this car is the very spirit of the 911R. in fact it's more 'R' than a 2400lb early 911 IMO.

the '912R' was probably meant as a tongue in cheek reference hinting at the cars light weight and purpose of build. calling it 'R spec' is a bit rice but that's just an ad.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Maybe, but I just can't see where the 300# went unless there is a lot they aren't telling us - but why would they do that?

I've done the math on my "912R" project (no fiberglass fenders or doors, but all the other weight reduction items I mentioned above) and I don't come up with those numbers. I am spending next week installing the interior so hopefully I can get it corner balanced shortly there after. Then I will know for sure. I may be in for a BIG surprise!

It had less than a 1/4 tank of fuel. I did none of what has been done to the car. It has been throughly scraped of weight. It has no fiberglass parts and it does have roll up windows. Under the carpet is just shiny black painted metal. No heaters, but it did have the steel wheels.

I keep thinking that it would make a really good vintage racer. Do the plastic windows, Change the pistons and cam, cage it and drop in a fuel cell and your off to the races! It sure is a blast at the autocross. I think I'd leave the radio in, just for kicks.
    Various Porsche's

One more thought. It's a short wheel base car. That makes a small difference. Steve Alercon at Johnson's had it on his scales, so I'm guessing they are correct.
    Various Porsche's

It had less than a 1/4 tank of fuel.
    Was the rest of the tank filled with Hydrogen?

One more thought. It's a short wheel base car. That makes a small difference. Steve Alercon at Johnson's had it on his scales, so I'm guessing they are correct.
    I had heard somewhere that supposedly a 69 912 was the lightest tub - that is what I started with.

Thumbs up

It does come with another set of unmolested door panels and the under dash mounted radio comes right out. Runs across the scales at 1797 lbs without the radio!
    Very cool Jeff. I like it.

Lightness matters!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

"Moggy"

This thing must of used up its nine lives by now... on ebay