Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Catalog of factory and aftermarket steering wheels

Here's a pic of the wheel in my '65. Am I crazy or is it the same wheel as the ST wheel on page 1?

Name:  HPIM1745.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  89.6 KB
    Dave Ebersole
    '78 SC
    Registry #873

It's not the same wheel Dave - yours is a 400mm ('69-'72 911) leather wheel whereas the one Raj posted on the first page of this thread is 380mm.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Thanks Andy!
    Dave Ebersole
    '78 SC
    Registry #873

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Here is a 911 solid hub,just curious if anyone had seen others this long

raj
    Raj

The real reason for the long length is that it is a hub for a 74 or later 911. They have a shorter column because the steering wheels can have a collapsable section in them. The long length does away with the crush zone and sets the aftermarket wheel at the same distance from the dash as the original wheels.
    The pictures are of a 74 911 Nardi hub with an additional extension and a 73 Nardi hub. Both are from the early 80s or earlier. I can't recall when they stopped making solid hubs and went to the crushable ones, but it was in the late 80s or early 90s.

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Jim Breazeale; 08-09-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
    Here's a pic of the wheel in my '65. Am I crazy or is it the same wheel as the ST wheel on page 1?

Name:  HPIM1745.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  89.6 KB
    Dave

You need to measure the diameter of your wheel. It looks like a 400mm wheel to me, though.
    By the way, the "ST" wheel pictured on page 1 is not a St wheel, at all. It is a garden variety 72 or 73 914/4 steering wheel.

Regards

Jim

Very good Jim. It never occured to me that the obvious difference in thickness of the later wheels was due to the crush feature. I do really like the wheel close to me for better leverage and ergonomics. I like that stack you brought to the party.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

MOMO Le Mans

Picked this up, few months back . . .

MOMO Le Mans, 14 in/355 mm dia
    Black vinyl cover w/ white (?) stitching on a black-colored aluminum frame
    weight = 2.0 lbs/.9 kg (For comparison, my stock leather 400 mm factory wheel = 6.2 lbs/2.8 kg!)

'Le Mans' stamped (I think) in-/on-to front of the 6 o'clock spoke. 'MOMO' stamped (ditto) back of same . . . w/ maybe some whitish paint to high-light everything

Vinyl covering has shrunk over the years --- note the 'gap' at the join --- but shows virtually nowear . . . except at the hub . . . where looks like the install/removal got a bit heavy-handed
    Attached Images Attached Images      

We Can Be Heroes

Rick, it's interesting that it's covered in vinyl. I like it. You should sell it to me.

RGruppe #183

Rick, I have to intervene and tell you that Jens has so many steering wheels that I fear this could push him over the edge and into the depravity we now know as "Morrissey's Conundrum" - i.e. wtf do I do with all of these effin' wheels?

Because I like Jens, I'm willing to take one for the team and offer to help you keep it out of his aquisitive little paws. We can discuss this off line.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Oh no you dittn't!!

RGruppe #183