Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: maybe starter issues...maybe not

member #1515
    I'd recheck all grounds as above but also I upgraded to the turbo starter nowadays you have the Tilton type starters that weigh less and really crank. I had weak cranking until I went with the turbo starter, but I also put new cabling in everywhere.

Starter woes

Thanks for all who responded...I was hoping for Ed and Grady to jump in.
    Answers to the questions. First, when jumpering the starter with the battery directly...the connections to the odyssey 680 in the smugglers box should be immaterial. I used heavy duty jumper cables to the starter, not light gauge wires. The flywheel is a stock flywheel and the starter has turned it...marginally. While it has been lightened, it spins freely and does not bind with the starter. I picked up my starters this afternoon from the local alt/starter rebuilder. He said that one of the starters was bad...one was anemic, and he rebushed and rebearinged the third. I watched him bench test all three and listened to each starter. I will check to see that the E-brake is not on and the car in gear...thanks Ed! So...I am hoping that the starters were weak. I will bolt up the refurbished starter and see what happens. I also have the 1.5 hp starter from my race car that I can bolt up and check. My sense is that when I use a battery directly to the starter, using the engine as ground, I should get a lively starter. I will report back, thanks for the help

Similar Threads

1. New Starter?
    By cmcfaul in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 10:36 AM
  2. MFI issues after a top end job....????
    By signature65 in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 10:55 AM
  3. WTB: Starter for a 73T
    By gruen911 in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 09:36 AM
  4. MSD issues...!!!
    By mjmoran in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-13-2006, 11:44 PM
  5. The nut above the starter