Thread: Pay Pal mark up

Pay Pal mark up

I`m usually `just ` a buyer. Why does the seller always lay the PPal fee on the buyer,when really both partys benefit from the transactions speed & quicker? shipping because all funds have exchanged hands. I think the PayPal fee should be a split. I must admit that the few items sold by me over the years, that I too have reaped in the % by the buyer just because it seems to be a matter of rote. I think it is a false overhead. Now, going to the Post Office is a different story!.....Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by cliffandropoff View Post
    I`m usually `just ` a buyer. Why does the seller always lay the PPal fee on the buyer,when really both partys benefit from the transactions speed & quicker? shipping because all funds have exchanged hands. I think the PayPal fee should be a split. I must admit that the few items sold by me over the years, that I too have reaped in the % by the buyer just because it seems to be a matter of rote. I think it is a false overhead. Now, going to the Post Office is a different story!.....Cliff
    If the seller is a private party (seller's personal PP account), PayPal usually doesn't charge a transaction fee. A fee only applies if the seller has a business account. The fee should provide some modicum of protection in case the buyer has any issues with payment, delivery and/or the description/condition of the item. Consider the PP fee a portion of the selling price, but like everything else, it's negotiable with the seller.

S

I think Paypal charges a fee even for the non-business user. I know they take a chunck (4%) when I have a buyer who pays me using Paypal for things I sell on Ebay or The Samba. Maybe I need to look into how my account is set up? Not all sellers pass the fee on or even split it. I accept it as the cost of using their system.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Paypal transactions from a cash account is free...IE if the buyer has cash in his paypal account......if the buyer charges his purchase to a credit card you (the sellar) have to upgrade your account to accept those payment transactions.

The reason Paypal charges you for these transactions is the credit card company charges them for the transaction. The same as any merchant gets charged when you use a credit card to buy stuff at any store.

I use Pal Pal a lot. I always carry several hundred dollars in my account because the Money Market rate they pay is more than my bank pays. I never incur a fee when I buy something but always incur a fee when I sell something. When you sell a $4,000 set of Fuchs for example the fee is about $160. As a result I pass the fee on to the buyer. If they don't like it they can pay by MO or check, makes no difference to me, they just have to wait a little longer for their merchandise. I think if your upfront with your selling conditions you are being fair.
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

Here's the direct link to PayPal's fee structure page. You can read and interpret:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/he...y-fees-outside

Sherwood