Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fs 1972 911 s

Fs 1972 911 s

I may have been too aggressive with my last for sale post.
    Here it is again with a reduced price.
    Silver on black. No rust, bondo or accidents. Original sport seats with b/w houndstooth. 70,000 miles on original motor. Many details and photos in gallery.
    http://gallery.me.com/blackburnjohn#100056
    $50,000.
    monojohn
    72 911 S

$60,000 may have been aggressive but your car looks beautiful. There just may not be that many lookers at this moment in time, even on this site. I would consider listing it on eBay as well. Unless you're desparate for cash, I would be patient and wait for the right buyer, possibly when things start to pick up a bit later this year. As Tom (sithot) has stated in other posts though, the big values of 2 years ago appear to be gone.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thanks Peter.
    I will be patient as I'm not in a hurry for cash. Ebay is a good suggestion. I'll let you guys know how this goes.
    monojohn
    72 911 S

Right buyer

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    $60,000 may have been aggressive but your car looks beautiful. There just may not be that many lookers at this moment in time, even on this site. I would consider listing it on eBay as well. Unless you're desparate for cash, I would be patient and wait for the right buyer, possibly when things start to pick up a bit later this year. As Tom (sithot) has stated in other posts though, the big values of 2 years ago appear to be gone.
    This appears to be a very fair price ( $50K ) I know of another 72S that sold a week ago for $ 100,000 +.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Seems like a deal from where I'm sitting.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Looks like a good buy to me. Ideally you may want to paint it, but that can wait as well. A good "detail" would certainly bring out the cars stronger points.

I don't see any reason to give the car away....

E

Fs 1972 911s

John, has your car had the sporto replaced with a manual transmission? Or am I thinking of another car?

Wish I had a extra fifty k right now. I'd buy it for sure. Nice car.
    72S, 72T now ST

Thanks for all of the comments.

Boeder asks the big question.
    Did my car have a sporto originally? It currently has a 915 in it.

Here's what I know from the COA:
    VIN: 9112300400
    Trans: 620420
    Engine: 6329035

The COA makes no mention of sporto as an option. I asked Porsche to double check. Their response was that they have no record of it being a sporto. Just the serial numbers.

The car does have the original engine in it and if I'm reading the red book correctly it is a sporto type S engine.

I would love some help from the experts here:
    Can anybody confirm transmission type via the serial number?
    If it had a sporto engine does that mean that it absolutely was mated to a sporto transmission?

I've had a couple potential buyers lose interest due to this sporto question. What do you guys think? Is it less valuable without the original transmission?

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

John
    monojohn
    72 911 S

I believe there are several things that you could check to see if it ever had a sportomatic in it. First off, I think the pedal box area originally was smaller, since it only had two pedals. I believe there was some type of "dead pedal". Then, check to see for potential vacuum lines that were connected to the car. Also check for mounts where the vacuum tank would have been mounted on the engine sound mat. These are just some things off the top of my head. I'm sure some of the Sporto guys can chime in here and tell you a lot more in detail as to what to look for. Best regards.