Thread: Cylinder overhaul or new?

Cylinder overhaul or new?

I have my 2.0S engine dismantled and everything looks like it should be for a low mileage of 26.000. The engine wasn't running for a long time and I have some dark spots on some of the cylinder walls:

You can't feel them, its only visible. The measurement of the cylinder bore and the pistons is ok. My engine builder suggests to go for a set of new cylinders and pistons 'just in case'. I am not sure if that's really necessary as the original honing traces still there and everything looks fine otherwise. I am thinking of just rehoning the cylinders and put new piston rings on.

Has anyone an idea what these spots are and what's the best to do?
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

Michael, those are probably just oil stains.

Accurate, precise measurements of the cylinder bore at multiple points is critical. Measure that very spot-- is it lower than the rest of the cylinder? If it's really 26,000 miles, you shouldn't have the problem unless the engine came to an abrupt stop (catastrophic failure).

I would progressively clean the cylinders-- a good bead blast of the fins on the outside followed by a scotch-brite pad dipped in motor oil on the liner. That should make things look much better. If you want to hone, OK, but I would do it only to break the glaze and reestablish a cross-hatch on the liner.

Of course you could bore to 81 as I did and use custom JE pistons, this results in a tiny displacement bump (50cc) and you can make the piston dome 0.8 cc smaller (very slightly less height for better combustion) but if the measurements say you are OK, I would clean up what you have and use it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen