Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing paint from original vynil

Removing paint from original vynil

I just located a super nice dash for my 67, no holes, no tears, perfect speaker grill. Except a bit of overspray on the right side of the dash.
    What's the best thing you guys have used to remove the overspray without ruining the vynil.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ralfy

Hi Ralphy:

I would start out with warm soapy water and a toothbrush.

Work inward from the edges.

Once the edges of the overspary softens a bit use a finger nail to see if the over spay will lift.

Apply patience.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Try GoJo, and a toothbrush. It will work very well, if the paint is not too old.

Thanks for the reply's

I'll try the tooth brush with soap and then gojo.

I think the paint overspray has been on the car a long time.

Any favorite conditioners after cleaning?

Regis turd ab user
    Wait and see what results you get from the first process.

If the overspray is still evident then you might have to step up to mild solvents. First naptha (lighter fluid), acetone (nail polish remover).

After that assess you dashes' condition it might need to have some dye touch up.

For vinyl protection I like 303 Areospace conditioner, Vinyl X, or Mothers back to black, depending on the situation.

David

I have used denatured alcohol for years to clean vinyl with this type of problem. It works very well and doesn't seem to have any ill effects on the original color.

How about brake fluid. It usually lifts any sort of paint after some time and shouldn't harm the vinyl.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

Lightbulb

Please, don't use brake fluid.....brake fluid will eventually go through concrete

When I come up against a challenge like this I start with the least invasive and work up....... Least to most:

- Warm soapy water
    - Alcohol
    - Paint thinner/mineral sprits
    - Lighter fluid
    - Lacquer thinner *
    - Acetone*
    - Cyanoacrylate solvent*
    - Mild acid*
    - Chemical stripper *

The last 4 WILL harm almost all finishes...... and lacquer thinner will harm most.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Once long ago I clean up a dash with lacquer thinner before vinyl paint. Wrong choice of solvent! Shortly thereafter it looked like someone had stabbed it repeatedly with a screw driver!
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

Take it from an old auto painter: Laquer thinner, acetone, brake fluid (?!)---kiss your vinyl goodbye. This is a tough one--I would probably try enamel reducer (PAINT thinner/mineral spirits) on a fine (green) automotive scotch-brite pad. don't soak it, just damp and wipe dry immediately. Whatever you try, test on underside very gingerly. Definitely heed the good advice of others--least invasive first....but for sure, the hot solvents mentioned above will destroy the vinyl immediately.....