Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow H1 for restoration

Yellow H1 for restoration

$800 O.B.O. - shipped to the lower 48. More pictures in next post.

Very good EARLY glass. Both rims should be restored for proper appearance. Note that one high beam reflector is not "mirror like". I was told this is normal (I have another set the same way) and is intended to diffuse some of the light and intended to be mounted on the passenger side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Additional Pic

Last pic of rim

Quote Originally Posted by W6CZ View Post
    Note that one high beam reflector is not "mirror like". I was told this is normal (I have another set the same way) and is intended to diffuse some of the light and intended to be mounted on the passenger side.
    You were given some bogus information. The lights are suppossed to be identical in both manufacture (part number) and function. They are not handed though the lenses are different from LHD and RHD.

The reason the one reflector is fogged is due to natural oxidation because that assembly is many years older than the other.

I have a dead NOS pair and both have identical finish on all reflective surfaces.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    You were given some bogus information. The lights are suppossed to be identical in both manufacture (part number) and function. They are not handed though the lenses are different from LHD and RHD.

The reason the one reflector is fogged is due to natural oxidation because that assembly is many years older than the other.

I have a dead NOS pair and both have identical finish on all reflective surfaces.

Well - that's odd - because that means then I have 2 with IDENTICAL oxidation!

They aren't "fogged" - the surface (on both) is not smooth. It certianly appears to be on purpose and way to even and consistent to be accidental. Also - on the other set - I believe one part number ends in a 4 and the other in a 5. I don't have them at hand so I can't check at the moment.

56 views of this post and no responses.

The unit on the left is the older of the two and has the earliest Bosch part number tag that I've seen on these H1s. I've had a few go through my hands now, both early and later and have seen not only the small reflector but also the main reflector oxidize differently both in the same bucket and from light to light in what were obviously fully matched pairs. The other give away is the reflector finish on the backside of the buckets. This changed over the years of Bosch production. The color of the wiring also changed from red to brown usually coinciding with the later produced lights with the newer main buckets.

Different part numbers could also mean VW, 356, 911, RHD, LHD, city lights, no city lights, French (yellow lense) applications. The trim rings and lenses are interchangeable between all of them.

My NOS pair started their life as late 60s VW part numbers (boxed with documentation) with city lights in the buckets. I swapped the tabbed trim rings for the 911 trim rings for use on my car.

Just trying to keep misinformation from being passed along and this is not meant to reflect on your H1s. To the best of my recollection even in the Porsche parts manuals the lights are not handed from passenger side to drivers side.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Just trying to keep misinformation from being passed along and this is not meant to reflect on your H1s. To the best of my recollection even in the Porsche parts manuals the lights are not handed from passenger side to drivers side.
    Thanks - and I am not trying to mis-represent them. If it wasn't such a pain in the arse and if I thought a photo could be conclusive, I would take them apart (again) and post high-res photos of the reflectors so you could see what I am talking about. But I believe it would have to be VERY heavy (and unusual) oxidation to change the surface of ONLY one reflector from glass smooth to a even, uniform, pebbled surface - and happen IDENTICALLY on two lights from completely different sources and of obviously different vintage (the other with the same reflector is obviously of newer manufacture, but unfortunately, the part number tag is missing).

I understand that you are very knowledgeable on lighting. I only wish you has seen and responded to the earlier post when I asked the question. We could have got together at Parts Heaven yesterday and you could have seen them in person.

But - having worked in the marine trades for a number of years and grown up working in the family hardware store - I really find it difficult to believe that the difference in the surface, based on what I have seen, is accidental.

From what you are saying - apparently I got screwed - twice - by two different people who sold me lights of different vintage with identical high-beam reflectors.

I'll put the set with clear lenses on my Targa when it comes back from being painted, and if nobody is interested in these, I'll keep them for parts.

Thanks - and I am not trying to mis-represent them.....

...I only wish you has seen and responded to the earlier post when I asked the question. We could have got together at Parts Heaven yesterday and you could have seen them in person.
    I never thought that for a minute....

I must have missed your other post. I've been working in Hawaii for the last month and just got back last week. Didn't have a lot of time for the boards.

Shoot! I was at the swap and I think I saw your lights...they were in a box kinda tucked back a bit and not right out in the open right? I had stopped to ask about them but, there were several others around...kind of busy... so I moved on. Meant to get back but, had to bail early to go up to a Barbi up in HMB.

PM me an email address and I can email you a tonne of photos I've taken of some of the H1s I've played with. I'll also send you before and after pics of my pair with city lights.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I never thought that for a minute....

Shoot! I was at the swap and I think I saw your lights...they were in a box kinda tucked back a bit and not right out in the open right? I had stopped to ask about them but, there were several others around...kind of busy... so I moved on. Meant to get back but, had to bail early to go up to a Barbi up in HMB.
    Yes - I only had a hall pass until 9 AM. A friend was kind enough to let me put some things in his space.

I think to really understand what I am talking about you would have to see the two examples that are identical. I too though it was corrosion until I opened them up (I was going to make one "good" pair out of two) and saw that they were identical. That told me that it wasn't a "problem" but a "feature!"

I was originally going to put the yellow lenses on some H-4s that I put on my autocross car, but decided that they lenses were too nice and just got yellow plastic ones instead. You might have seen it too - it was the tangerine 912 in the middle of the row of other 912s. I wired up the city lights on those - kinda neat.

Here's a pic I'm assuming this is your car Don.

I was originally going to put the yellow lenses on some H-4s that I put on my autocross car, but decided that they lenses were too nice and just got yellow plastic ones instead. You might have seen it too - it was the tangerine 912 in the middle of the row of other 912s. I wired up the city lights on those - kinda neat.
    I did see it...912R! Lot of nice 912s there! I met John with the Bahama yellow? 912 with mostly original paint. I was lusting after his original luggage straps! This reminds me to start another thread on a car I saw early on in the same row as yours but, then later (around 10AM) was gone or moved.

Got your PM
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586