Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just bought a 1970T RS clone - please chime in with ideas!

I just bought a 1970T RS clone - please chime in with ideas!

An opportunity to purchase a nice 70T “RS clone” presented itself a few weeks ago. A mechanic that had previously worked on my ’68 and ’87 called me and said “I know of a car for sale that I think you would like, since you like the old stuff…..” The purchase price was VERY good, especially considering all the work put into the car. The mechanic was moving and did not have a garage, otherwise he was going to buy it from the collector.

The mechanic now works at a Prancing Horse indy shop and the owner was “moving out” some cars in his collection (70+) and this was one of them. He drove it 3 or 4 times after the resto and stuck it in the garage for the last 3 years……… Paper records are sketchy (apparently the guy has too many cars to keep track of things – but I’m trying to get more info), but the car was treated to a fairly extensive restoration about 4 yrs. ago. Full engine rebuild with unstamped replacement (11/83) Carrera case to 2.7 spec/Webers, tranny rebuild, clutch, suspension, tires (196/65 + 215/60 P6000), lowered, glass out repaint (red……did I say it’s RED?!), RS spoiler and duck, welded in cage with bolt in side bars, Recaro Pole Positions, harnesses, interior mostly there. The mechanic said he could find no rust and I couldn’t either, but I realize there may be some hiding.

The car drives great, accelerates like I imagine a 2.7 would, shifts smoothly, and handles great. A little too low for my taste and the right rear rubs slightly with more spirited driving (on standard fenders with a little roll on shoehorned 215/60’s!). The engine is bone dry and no smoke. Leakdown was 97% for 4, and 90% for 2 of the cylinders. I’m hoping this will improve after some driving and a valve adjustment.

I plan on keeping making this a street legal, weekend fun, DE car and this should be a good platform. The car has regular tags and will pass inspection. It’s kind of a mix of a T and RS Touring with a RS lightweight front spoiler In other words, there are several things I would correct on the car. The paint is just too damn nice to weld on a proper set of flares for an RS clone with decals. I could just put and S spoiler and normal rear lid to go back to a “T”, but I would really like to keep the duck for the higher speed circuits like The Glen. Ideally, I would also like to keep the rear roll bar and make the front part a bolt-in situation for track days.

I realize “It’s your car and do with it what you like…”, but that’s why we’re all here isn’t it? The purists will be happy that this will make me less likely to further my ‘68L/S-spec project into an R-clone….

Here are some pics. I know, the rain………but I had to get tags on Thursday.

I would appreciate and value everyone’s ideas and input.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

A few more...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Henry Garazo
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

Now THAT's a Magnesium case! Nice find.

Good luck with it.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Nice score....needs early graphics....
    http://www.nbdgraphics.com
    73/83/93 RS clone, 3.6

I vote for S spoiler and then enjoy the driving.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

1. Deco tape on the front bumper
    2. 72-73 flag mirror instead of Durant
    3. 380mm wheel

nothing more.

looks great!
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

i love the look of a car after it rains.
    the lighting is perfect.
    nice car.
    +1 on s spoiler and regular lid.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Love it the way it is.....great find.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

That looks very similar to my old one, nice! Keep it just this way, with only a minor few inexpensive updates.

May I suggest...

- Silver, titanium colored or bare finished center caps.
    - Carrera graphics on side, reversed out PORSCHE script on rear deck lid, and Carrera RS logotype.
    - Black bumper strip graphic on front (only to match the rear rubber strips)

Thanks for the ideas and I'm glad you like it.

I promised myself that I would dial it in and just drive it for now, but the temptation to "fix" things is great.

I had thought of just black tape striping the front spoiler for now to give it a more balanced/finished look, and maybe place the oil cooler screen. It will be a nice option, depending on what temps I run at the track. I do tend to like the S spoiler with S trim, but that will have to wait. I like the 72/72 mirror as well.

I've been looking at RS pictures and learning alot. The Lightweight and Touring differences are becoming more noticeable. Since I don't think it will be a proper RS clone without the flairs, I may just go for the sleeper S look with a duck. I'm pretty sure the front wheels are Deep 6's (and so is the spare ). I'm guessing the rears are regular 15 x 7's. The inside lip is painted on the fronts, which is not correct. Maybe go back to the anodized look.

Keep the ideas coming!
    Henry Garazo
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA