Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F1 break-away Series formed

F1 break-away Series formed

The second shoe appearantly has dropped. Even before the Friday deadline expired, which was set by Max "the Pervert" Mosley" to try to intimidate the teams, represented by FOTA ( Formula One Teams Association) the five FOTA teams ( Ferrari, Mclaren, Renault, Brawn, Red Bull, Sauber / BMW, Toyota, and the second Red Bull team, aka Toto Rosso ) have issued the following communique.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

FOTA teams to launch breakaway series

By jonathan noble Thursday, June 18th 2009, 22:43 GMT

The Formula One Teams' Association announced on Thursday night that it is setting up a breakaway championship.

Following a four hour meeting at Renault's Enstone factory, the eight members of FOTA - Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, BMW Sauber, Toyota, Brawn, Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso - said they had grown frustrated with the FIA's stance against the organisation, and had no option but to create a series of their own.

"The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship," said a statement issued by FOTA after the meeting.

"These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new Championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners. This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."

F1 teams were given until Friday evening to remove the conditions attached to the provisional entries they posted earlier this month, or risk being left off the grid in 2010.

FIA president Max Mosley wrote to the teams yesterday offering them some of the concessions that they wanted to see regarding governance of the sport, but made it clear that he was sticking to plans for the introduction of a budget cap.

In his letter, Mosley also urged the teams to sign up to the championship before sorting out the final version of the regulations and a redrafted Concorde Agreement.

In response to that letter, the teams met at Renault's Enstone headquarters on Thursday evening for lengthy talks, where they finally decided that there was no way a compromise deal could be reached with the FIA.

The teams expressed frustration that their efforts to try and improve F1 had been rebuffed by the governing body and the sport's commercial rights holder.

"Since the formation of FOTA last September the teams have worked together and sought to engage the FIA and commercial rights holder, to develop and improve the sport," said the statement.

"Unprecedented worldwide financial turmoil has inevitably placed great challenges before the F1 community. FOTA is proud that it has achieved the most substantial measures to reduce costs in the history of our sport.

"In particular the manufacturer teams have provided assistance to the independent teams, a number of which would probably not be in the sport today without the FOTA initiatives. The FOTA teams have further agreed upon a substantial voluntary cost reduction that provides a sustainable model for the future.

"Following these efforts all the teams have confirmed to the FIA and the commercial rights holder that they are willing to commit until the end of 2012.

"The FIA and the commercial rights holder have campaigned to divide FOTA.

"The wishes of the majority of the teams are ignored. Furthermore, tens of millions of dollars have been withheld from many teams by the commercial rights holder, going back as far as 2006. Despite this and the uncompromising environment, FOTA has genuinely sought compromise."

The announcement by FOTA looks certain to overshadow the British Grand Prix, which takes place at Silverstone for the final time this weekend and which Mosley is expected to attend tomorrow.

With FOTA's stance now seemingly leaving no room for a deal possible, its likely that more new teams will be added to the FIA's 2010 Formula 1 entry list.

The inclusion of Ferrari, Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso on that roster remains open to debate, however, with the FIA claiming that the teams committed themselves to F1 in a deal agreed several years ago.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    _

What a pity. I'm reminded of the fiasco when IRL & Cart had their marital spat.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Wow, I was just checking to see if anything happened on the F1 sites.

Like it or not, it really hinges on Ferrari. If they go with FOTA (which they plan to do, despite what the FIA thinks), then the breakaway series will have legitimacy. Maybe we'll see a return to the European circuits and fan base that made F1.

I agree, let's hope we don't have an IRL/CART debacle.
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

I agree. Ferrari legitimizes a breakaway, and with their budget, they could make it work. Without Ferrari, it would be difficult for FOTA.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Karting-with-Bernie has been nothing but a Ponzi scheme for years. The recent escapades of Sir Oswald's boy only brought home the fact that these clowns have been ripping-off the public and the teams from the get-go.
    I hope that Luca D's trip to Le Mans last weekend reminded him of Ferrari's sportscar heritage. Give me a Testa Rossa or a 512S over F-1 junk any day of the week. There hasn't been a pukka Porsche in F-1 for over 45 years, despite TAG or Footwork motors in other people's chassis, and Zuffenhausen makes more money selling sportscars than Maranello ever has.

'Bout time...
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

The following is a quote from an impromptu interview Niki Lauda gave at Silverstone yesterday:

"If FOTA proceeds like this, F1 will be destroyed. Yes, they are able to create a new series but..... it wouldn't make sense. Then one half of the fans would go to the FIA races, the other half to the FOTA races. The manufacturers have the cars and the drivers everyone wants to see, so all the fans will go to the FOTA races".

Yup, that's exactly what he said. I really like and respect Lauda, and along with Jackie Steweart have always regarded the two of them as islands of sanity in a world of disfunctional egos, but I'll be damned if I can make any sense out of that gibberish. The situation must be really serious when he has such a lapse.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

Quote Originally Posted by Gburner View Post
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

That's hilarious......if you need a good laugh watch this from beginning to end.

Then.,to return to the sad, disgusting reality of the FIA vs. Fota melodrama, click on the following.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76485

The old expression " there's just no end to that pr*ck" really seems to apply in this case, doesn't it. How wrong can a man be ?

To Hell with it, time to tune out and work on Ruprecht.

JZG

If anyone really cares any longer about this extended Ponty Python episode titled FIA vs. FOTA, Mad Max's & Luca de Montezemolo's had a meeting on Wednesday morning in Paris. Please read the results as reported by BBC Sport, here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/8116756.stm

I wonder if we'll ever get back to racing, cars & driving, and scrap the politics.

JZG