Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with it?

What would you do with it?

What would you do with this car?

It is a '72 911T that I purchased from the original owner, he bought it from Brumos with all S options, factory AC, sport seats, fogs, etc. Still has the original invoice and every record since day 1, in a very nice color combination with 73000 miles.

Now for the bad news. The car has a very small spot of rust in the lower edge of both doors that will have to be repaired (it was repainted once in the 70's as car was scratched on delivery and he ended up repainting the whole car to "fix" the repair). He added SC mirrors and door panels, 73 bumper guards, smaller steering wheel (has original), blacked out the original wheel finish, added speakers to the rear shelf and (UGGH!) replaced the original Recaro sport seats with another brand that was cloth instead of upholstery.

I could get it running again, fix the rust spot and drive it. Or, I could go ahead and update the engine to an S, fix the small spots, gather up the original bits and drive it. Or, and what I first intended, could blow it all apart and turn it into a concours car with an amazing history (and still sneak the S bits in the engine...). Based on the value threads I have seen that might not be the best idea.

I always like the cars you guys have made, and I will probably do what the consensus suggest, or maybe I am missing another option (ST project?). This should generate some fun discussion!
    Cole
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cole Scrogham
    Porsche Restoration
    911, 912, 911R, RS, RSR, IROC

So many questions, so few answers....

The mirrors gotta go!

Then fix the wheels. Make it look like a '72 again. After that, you can just drive it for a while and decide where you want to go from there. Kill the rust and take your time.

Nice project. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

Bring it down to Raleigh and drop it my house and come back and get it in a year or so.

No seriously, I agree with the above, kill the rust, ditch the mirrors, correct the wheels and start collecting the original bits to get the interior back to stock.

What an awesome find.

I agree with the above PLUS loose the bumper guards - Why the hell would somebody want to put those ON a car???

I agree awsome find! Get it stock!!!!! Hardest part will be the rust IMO.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Cole, is that ALL the rust?

It's only original once. I would fix the rust and return the car to original.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

fix the rust - the hidden rust especially

probe undercoating everywhere with a pick or screwdriver

I like fabric seats - leather looks better but is hot in summer & cold in winter; vinyl is the worst

worry about the motor last

'72 is the best body year, but a T is never going to be worth a huge amt., so you can either hot rod that motor or swap in a 3.2L

Quote Originally Posted by W6CZ View Post
    I agree with the above PLUS loose the bumper guards - Why the hell would somebody want to put those ON a car???
    Probably in a very misguided effort to avoid damage to the bumper.

Bring it back to original. No doubt in my mind at least. Some tasteful (mirrors NOT!) bolt-ons, e.g. RS steering wheel, are OK though...all this IMHO.

-Allen-

Drive it like ya stole it for a year and ponder the whole thing. No law says ya can't just enjoy what it is for a while.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

"Drive it like ya stole it" Outstanding motto Paul!
    Duane Hyatt