Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 66 konis

66 konis

The 66 is going back together. Does anyone know if the front strut housings and dust shields should be painted black or Koni orange. We think the rears should be Koni orange for sure. Any help greatly appreciated.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Hi Steven:

Good question.

Well, I got a complete front suspension that came off a car that received updated control arms. The struts and dust shields are black, have the factory part numbers and 66 dates.

There is no evidence of orange paint. I will take another look at them during the week if you like and report back.

I have asked the same question before on the board. It seems that most people paint them Koni orange.

What do the P Bros say?

The rears did not come with the deal.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

If the car came with Koni struts from the factory, Then the strut housing was painted the red/orange, and the rear shocks were the same color.
    If the car came with the standard BOGE shocks, then the fronts were black. Every 67S I have seen came with the orange/red Koni housings. I've got a set of these in stock for one of my early projects. I can post pictures if there is any questions. The factory KONI struts in the front, had the word PORSCHE engraved into the dust cover.

Not only do the early Koni shocks say Porsche on them, they also have date stamps. Ol' Ivory was "born" Sept. 12, 1966. The front struts are date stamped 11/65 and the rear shocks were 8/66. They were a brick brown-red, but according to Paul at Koni NA, he believes that the original paint had faded. They are now Koni red.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

You are very correct.

Same for a MY66 as Steven is asking about? LKreg restored his 66 with red. Both of my 67S, one of which is early (305637S) have red.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Koni's are date coded 3/67, so definitely not the original delivery on the car - which might have been Boge?, but either dealer install, or owner upgrade very early in the car life.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

This is what 1.67 KONI shocks struts look like.

BTW most black stuff you see on these pictures is not rust but undercoating.

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Flunder View Post
    Hi Steven:

Good question.

Well, I got a complete front suspension that came off a car that received updated control arms. The struts and dust shields are black, have the factory part numbers and 66 dates.

There is no evidence of orange paint. I will take another look at them during the week if you like and report back.

I have asked the same question before on the board. It seems that most people paint them Koni orange.

What do the P Bros say?

The rears did not come with the deal.
    Are you sure you have KONI struts or Boge w/ KONI inserts?

Richard

old softie67S

Targas also?

Rick, I do not have my car here to look at , but I think the struts on my 67S targa are black. I know I have a set of Koni Struts from a 67S coupe that was parted out many years ago sitting on a shelf in my garage, but I seem to remember My targa not having Koni orange struts, and I recall seeing something in print saying the targas were not equipped with Koni. Anyone know for certain?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    If the car came with Koni struts from the factory, Then the strut housing was painted the red/orange, and the rear shocks were the same color.
    If the car came with the standard BOGE shocks, then the fronts were black. Every 67S I have seen came with the orange/red Koni housings. I've got a set of these in stock for one of my early projects. I can post pictures if there is any questions. The factory KONI struts in the front, had the word PORSCHE engraved into the dust cover.
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)