Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fender Rolling Party

Fender Rolling Party

Well, we finally got around to having our fender rolling party last weekend. A friend of ours picked up a fender roller off Craigslist, but we did not have an adapter for a Porsche lug pattern. We were going to buy the adapter for $120 or so, but Jamie being "the man" decided to build one out of his spare parts around his garage. I believe it is from an old hub he had laying around. Goes to show you...don't throw away your old parts! Of course, Jamie painted the adapter and made it look better than the $120 part.

Anyway, here are some pictures from the party:

This is David's beautiful car.

The roller and adapter (painted black)

Remember to mark your end points. And have fun!

Remember the heat.

Roll, roll, roll your fender.

Gently...well, maybe not so gently.

Nicely done.

And the finished product with the wider minilites.
    Elvis has left the building.

Big, big, big thanks to Jamie and David for making this happen. Jamie is a master at rolling fenders.

And my car:

So what do you plan on mounting back there Scott? I was just at Jamie's
    last weekend dropping off Morrie's 912E for a lowering/corner balance and Jamie showed us his fender rolling adapter--nice work.
    I'm ready for another Austin Cars and Coffee if anyone else is.
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry

Noice!

OK, now let's see the wheel.....
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Gburner
    Fit a rider and added grip.
    Saved the paint too.

I had some slight rubbing on the passenger side rear with my deep sixes and Falken 205/50's. I won't be mounting anything larger than what I have now. I just wanted to fix the problem.

Michael, the wheel project will be posted soon. Thanks for your advice today.

Now you are ready for some more cattle guards.

Looks good.

David, like the new wheels.

Very sophisticated

...what happened to the 'ol baseball bat technique. I just did one of my cars 2 weeks ago...worked great. However, that device looks very "professional"
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

mad scientist
    Curt,

Having rolled a few fenders with the hammer handle, baseball bat, hand stretched with a planishing hammer and now the "fender roller" all I can say is that the new tool makes things so much easier. There is a much more even finish and you can stretch the lip with a very precise angle to distribute the load on the paint. In fact, it takes two angles to first begin to fold the lip up and a more steep angle to fold the edge over.

If the owners wanted the metal could be pulled back out. A little shrinking would be required and at that point I don't think the paint would survive.

now both cars clear the tires at the upper rear corner of the fender well. That slight toe-in on the rear to stabilize the 911 at high speed causes the tires to kick out just a hair. Funny thing was that both tires are rubbing on the side wall. you can see the scuff marks in the "Potenza" logo on David's orange car. That was one drive where the lip grabs the edge of the tire under compression.

Bob, come on down, I am ready for cattle guards any day.

A bit of descripion on the adapter. The tool adapter looks like the original that Eastwood provides. The downside is that it has a maximum BCD (bolt circle diameter) of 4.5". They seel a "truck/Porsche" adapter that goes out to 6". I made one by cutting the center out of a worn rear brake rotor. I know the BCD is perfect. The rest was simply tracing and duplicating the mounting "tabs" followed by a small bit of welding. Total time was about 2 hours with most of that spend running the cut-off wheel and waiting for the paint to dry. I love making tools when needed.

Gburner
    it begs for the bat.
    Attached Images Attached Images