Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: window trim

window trim

looking to clean up and polish all the window trim on a 73.5
    that i am putting together doors from 68 w vent windows
    before i get crazy is all this trim anodized aluminium??
    can the anodizing be striped w oven cleaner and polished
    any ideas previous experience appreciated
    thanks all
    Tull
    87 cab
    80 sc track
    73 project

Angry 68 window frames

I believe the '68 window frames are chrome over brass plating, be careful when polishing these items as you can strip off the chrome and reveal the brass... Then you have to rechrome! The window trim on the early models 65-69 are aluminium...good luck jon
    ORE67S

67 911S-SILVER
    65 356SC COUPE -SOLD
    73 914 2.0 YELLOW [74K]
    74 914 1.8 WHITE

Quote Originally Posted by swb911s View Post
    I believe the '68 window frames are chrome over brass plating, be careful when polishing these items as you can strip off the chrome and reveal the brass...
    I believe that '68 was the year that the frames transitioned to aluminum from the earlier chromed brass ones--at least on my '68 they are aluminum.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Hi,

68 is a one year only frame. The main frame is anodised ally, but it still uses the opening 1/4 window like the pre 68 cars, and this is chrome (brass).

Both can be stripped and restored. I prob have some pics somewhere if it helps.

HTH

Alan

@aircooledph on Instagram jaldeguer's Avatar
    Is it safe to say that '68 and up were aluminum?

Alan U.K. is correct.

With the beginning of the '68 MY, window frames were changed to brilliant anodized, polished aluminum. Much lighter, no visual difference other than chrome vs. anodizing.

Both types are interchangable on short or extended wheelbase cars.

Attached are some photos of restored '68 alum. window frames incl. re-chromed non alum. hardware. (work performed by King of Trim, North Hollywood, CA, known in the past as Ano-Brite). Do not expect this work to be inexpensive.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    Attached are some photos of restored '68 alum. window frames
    John-
    Are the vent window latches in those pics also '68? They look like the type I had on my '67S. The latch handles on my '68 have a clunky black rubber cover that I hate. I wish they were the slender all-metal chromed type in your pics, but they aren't. Was there a mid-year change? Mine is a Karmann car, so that could make a difference.
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

Quote Originally Posted by ttweed View Post
    John-
    Are the vent window latches in those pics also '68? They look like the type I had on my '67S. The latch handles on my '68 have a clunky black rubber cover that I hate. I wish they were the slender all-metal chromed type in your pics, but they aren't. Was there a mid-year change? Mine is a Karmann car, so that could make a difference.
    The rubber cover was a US safety requirement I believe. Like the rubber covered knobs on the dash. Whatever those protect against is anyone's guess. Face plant to the dash is still gonna hurt.

I think 68 was also the year that the clamp assy for the vent window changed. The post length is different, the clamping groove is in a different place. The clamp itself was redesigned. You cant put a 67 vent window into the 68 frame if I remember right.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

As usual, our learned friend above is correct on all counts.

There is one cheap, quick and dirty alternative though, depending on just how much you hate the rubber condoms over your present handles: Remove them !!

Since Porsche is German, you wouldn't expect them to have a sense of humor. Why, they even made all the adhesives rust colored. Here's a shot of a standard "naked" early vent window handle, the longer one, and a stripped '68 handle I have laying around. As you can see the '68 is a little shorter, smaller, but after you clean the brown glue off the chrome and polish it, you ought to be alright until you get some rechromed proper '65-'67 handles and install them.

May I recommend you call EASY in Emeryville, CA @ 510.653. 3178 for the parts you want. I know they have them.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    As you can see the '68 is a little shorter, smaller, but after you clean the brown glue off the chrome and polish it, you ought to be alright until you get some rechromed proper '65-'67 handles and install them.
    Thanks, John. My handles look exactly like the one on the right when I removed the cover, so I slipped the rubber back on. I don't like the "stubby" look of them so gave up on the idea of polishing them out. I haven't tried the set screws yet to see if they're frozen, to determine how easy it would be to replace them. Can you just replace the lever, or do you need the matching receiver assembly also, given the clamping design changes Michael mentioned? The nose of the lever definitely looks longer and fatter in the earlier version.

Thx,
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!