Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Widening steel wheels ?

Widening steel wheels ?

Hi
    Some of you run wider steel wheels (7" made from 5.5) One of the way to make them is to separate the center part from the Porsche wheel and re-weld it in a original 15x7 steel wheel from another automobile maufacturer. The question is : Does someone now which wheel will fit a Porsche wheel center ? (Dodge, Ford, ?? model ??) So I can easily ask the local scrap yard !

(I include 2 nice cars for reference !)

Thanks !
    JD
    Attached Images Attached Images   

JD if I'm not mistaken they are both the same car with different wheels!
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

I don't really know if they are the same car, just post them because I really like this look ! I'm just looking for a cheap way of having a set of those wider steelies !

JD

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    have harvy weidmen widen them.. i think thats who jeff trask uses. Jeff has done this several times to his 912 hot rods, and they look great. I am not sure how he does it..
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Thanks for Harvey suggestions, but my brother is a excellent welder and I'm trying to get a set at a very low price, compare to Harvey's time and shipping from Northeat to CA...

JD

Check with Ed Mayo

Ed is running 7" steelies on his 72S. I believe they are GM rims with Porsche centers. I think he described them briefly in our photo documentation thread from our trip to SLO Treffen last fall. Search the Drives, Tours, Gatherings section for the thread titled "Any RGruppe Pics from SLO" or something like that. His post might be several pages in, but you will enjoy the pics as you search. Good luck.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

I added 1" to a set of 5.5" steelies. Added it to the inside, like a 7R, but a 6.5R That way I can use spacers to get the wheels to sit exactly where I want them. If you add to the outside, you're stuck if they rub. I used Weldcraft because they were local. I'm using milled down Turbo spacers on all 4's with 205/60s.

Weldcraft Wheels
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Guys, I got it !

Regards
    JD

Widening steel wheels ?

My wheels were done 30 years ago by a now defunct Dallas wheel shop, and I really don't know what rims they used. They were made to a 5 1/2" backspace I believe. ( I'd have to measure one to be sure, but won't have time for that till after Parade) I use a generic 5/16" spacer behind each wheel, open steel lug nuts, and 225 x 50 tires.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Arnott View Post
    JD if I'm not mistaken they are both the same car with different wheels!
    You are not mistaken Cam
    John
    1970 911T
    2.4E-915
    Early 911S Registry #1198