Thread: What did you do this weekend?

What did you do this weekend?

I stormed Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo ... on 2 wheels.

I left Los Angeles yesterday at 7:00am (alarm didn't go off so I got a late start) and headed up the 101 to Santa Barbara. Traded super slab for the 154 out to Lake Cachuma where it was nothing but heavy metal in my headphones and clean, clear asphalt through a 30+ mile mountain pass ... 80 and 90mph sweepers with access to the ton in the straights. Surprisingly, I passed a cop at about 95 and all he did was wave. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, I guess ... maybe he just liked the bike.

Ended up back on the 101 to San Luis Obispo where I again traded super slabbing for a short blast up Highway 1. Crossed over on highway 46 and rode down into Templeton for lunch at THE BEST restaurant on the central coast, McPhees. **Side Note** - if you like artichokes GO TO McPHEES. Of all the stops I made in my short trip this was the only one that was planned.

Back on the 749S and up to Fort Hunter Ligget (SP). Crossed back over to the 1 on a road that I can't remember the name of (did the trip by memory) and back down to San Luis Obispo. This was the hardest part of the trip because it was about 12:30 or 1:00pm and the sun was BLAZING. Non-perforated, all black, full leathers and hot days are a tough combo.

Spent the night in SLO at the Embassy Suites (R Gruppe re-hash) ... gotta love that complimentary open bar from 5:30 to 7:30. I was back on the horse this morning at 7:30am and ripped back down the 101 to the 154. I momentarily debated Foxen Cyn in honor of Chuck's birthday, but the pain of the day before motivated me to avoid the detour. The 154 was just as good as the first time, albeit with a bit of traffic that was easlily dispatched by the 749S. By the time I hit the 101 I was completely wiped and just wanted to get home, but I super slabbed it all the way to Pro Italia in Glendale and bought some new gloves.

It's now 40 hours later and I covered something like 700 miles. The bike didn't skip a beat and I averaged 85/90mph the whole trip. Stopped for gas 4 times (2 up and 2 back) and didn't clean my visor once. Aside from a few minor cramps, aches and pains I'm in surprisingly good condition considering the bike's ergonomics and time in the saddle. It was a pleasant surprise to find out just how well the 749S could travel. It literally gobbles up the miles, and it looks hella good doing it.

Oh, I took 5 photos on the whole trip. Kinda lame, but I had a backpack on and getting the camera out was a PITA.

Photo #1:

Photo #2:

Photo #3:

Photo #4:
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Interesting color- looks like Ferarri's Fly Yellow. I only knew about your Hypermotard. I like this "traditional" faired sport bike best.

Glad you had fun. Ducatis are so cool.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    Interesting color- looks like Ferarri's Fly Yellow. I only knew about your Hypermotard. I like this "traditional" faired sport bike best.

Glad you had fun. Ducatis are so cool.
    As a matter of fact, Max, this is not my bike ... yet. I dropped my Hypermotard off with a Ducati tech buddy of mine for a bit of fine tuning - recently added a set of Ducati Performance race cams - so I was bike-less for the weekend. I've been helping a friend of mine maintain this bike so he gave me the keys and said, "Have fun." It just goes to show you that some people's generosity knows no bouds - especially when they have large motorcycle (or car) collections.

The actual name of the color of the bike is, technically, Ducati Yellow ... however, I believe the paint codes for that color and Ferrari's Fly Yellow are one and the same.

I thought about you when I was in SLO, but I was too tired - and sauced - to motivate towards the telephone.
    -Marco

McPhees is the best!

You come thru SB again and don't call I will remember and charge you a cold one next time!

Glad you had fun and made it home with out a gift from LEO.
    Dan Byers
    71T targa - "Stay Puff"
    EarlyS Member #608

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    great stuff! McPhee's is awesome! been there once during my cross country runs.. You should have also made a stop at the cold spring tavern! on sundays they have the best tri-tip bbq.

know all too well about the embassy's gm's happy hour too.. took advantage of it at one of the rendezvous and ended up falling over in my chair. everyone thought i passed out until i started giggling.. it was too funny (well to me, but i was hammered). thankfully that was on a thursday and there were only a handfull of us who arrived a day early.

the complementary breakfasts there are bitchin too.

sigh.. i need to move to the central coast.. anyways, love the bike! italian bikes are about the only ones that appeal to me, and i love the duc's. great pics! next time i head out west i need to stop by your shop -i believe i still owe you a cold one.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

"What did you do this weekend?"

I helped my brother fix the exhaust on his Audi A4 and went to a grad. party.

YOU WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    "What did you do this weekend?"

I helped my brother fix the exhaust on his Audi A4 and went to a grad. party.

YOU WIN!
    Ready for the kicker?

I'm doing it AGAIN this weekend!!!! This time, though, I'm going with some friends.

I promise I'll take more photos.

**NOTE** I just bought a video camera ... things just got interesting.
    -Marco

Good for you Marco, that's how weekends should be spent. There really is nothing like getting away for a weekend on a Ducati. I've spent many weekends riding my S4 through New England back roads so I know how you feel. I give you a lot of credit for putting all those miles on a 749, how are your wrists feeling?

I also have a yellow Duc but I always thought it was a little too dull for my taste so I had it repainted using a Fiat yellow and a little white mixed in. Check out the pics.

Oh, and good luck with the Hypermotard, that's a sweet bike!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzmo View Post
    Good for you Marco, that's how weekends should be spent. There really is nothing like getting away for a weekend on a Ducati. I've spent many weekends riding my S4 through New England back roads so I know how you feel. I give you a lot of credit for putting all those miles on a 749, how are your wrists feeling?

I also have a yellow Duc but I always thought it was a little too dull for my taste so I had it repainted using a Fiat yellow and a little white mixed in. Check out the pics.

Oh, and good luck with the Hypermotard, that's a sweet bike!
    VERY COOL! That's such a sweet color. I agree, the factory yellow doesn't work on all the bikes, but I do like it on the 999/749 bikes. They just have the right lines to make it work.

I just got through mounting my new video camera ... it's gonna be SWEET! Stay tuned for a new thread when I get back. And, if things go as unplanned, I may end up at Laguna Seca for Moto GP (long shot).
    -Marco