Thread: Powder coating trim

Powder coating trim

I have a 68 that someone was kind enough to sand down the door and window trim and paint. I have considered re anodizing the trim 68= Aluminum. Its a very expensive process. Its a hot rod build so originality is not important, and I'm looking for a unique look. What are the pros and cons of powder painting the trim. I was thinking a flat Aluminum, or light grey, something that looks like the frosted RSR wheels. Any thoughts?
    Rob Abbott

This was blasted, painted and clear coated. Powder coating probably would have been lighter and more durable. The only "bright" trim is the top and bottom of the aluminum on the dash and the "912R" on the glove box. I have a set of Fuchs to match, as well as Gas Burners and Minilites.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Don
    912 Registry Charter Member #68

Flo - 69 912 Targa - Champagne Yellow
    Jack - 69 912 "R" Coupe - Terrorist Tangerine
    Bill (as in William "Refrigerator" Perry) - 97 E350 Powerstroke - White - (P-car puller deluxe)
    Kermit - 04 John Deere 4310 4WD - is there another color?
    Tony - 60 Buick Invicta 4-door hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    I have a 68 that someone was kind enough to sand down the door and window trim and paint. I have considered re anodizing the trim 68= Aluminum. Its a very expensive process. Its a hot rod build so originality is not important, and I'm looking for a unique look. What are the pros and cons of powder painting the trim. I was thinking a flat Aluminum, or light grey, something that looks like the frosted RSR wheels. Any thoughts?
    Powder coating provides many aluminum-type finishes that last longer and result in less upkeep than polished aluminum or a blasted finish.

Sherwood

Love the matte finish I would love to refinish my brightwork as RSR. Not to steal the thread; How do you bring the aluminum back or remove the scratches?
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Powder coating has come a long way since I first started using it. One issue that was tackled was UV fading. Black used to turn gray and red would turn pink.
    As with any process be sure your shop is competent. There is nothing worse than having powder coatings where they shouldn't be. Threaded areas and bolt holes are common. The other being something like the door handle assembly seen in the photos. Should the powder painter decide to lay it on heavy you will have interference with the push button. If you've never had to file down powder consider yourself lucky. It is extremely hard.
    Make it clear what you want and what areas can be left alone or have a light application.
    Powder will find its way into most cracks and crevices which make it ideal for a lot of applications where paint just won't get the same coverage.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Tom, you've brought up a concern of mine. I had the roll bar in my RS America powder coated Red, and it turned Pink. I had to take it out and paint it again. Mind you, this was a car that only saw the light of day when I was driving it, about 15 K in 7 years. Is the new P/C much more UV stable?
    Rob Abbott

My shop uses Tiger Dry-Lac and some others. They are very aware of the past sins of powder colors fading out. I haven't had any problems.

The 1st pink frame was on a friend's BMW R100RS. Pretty sad because it didn't go pink on the whole thing. Just the areas that the sun hit.
    The other bike was done about 15 years ago and was a BMW R60/2. That one went gray-black. It's been re-done since then and no further issues have cropped up.

I use Powder and Performance Coatings Of Richmond. Joe Anticoli is the proprietor and comes from a chrome plating and industrial plating background. Very particular when it comes to the details.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111