Thread: Hood and Decklid Hold Down Options

Hood and Decklid Hold Down Options

Hey guys Im struggling with a few different ideas here. Since the car is almost done being painted, I want to figure out what I will be using to hold down the rear decklid and hood.

Originally I had purchased a set of rubber retention straps from this board and I had planned on using them, however after just test fitting the straps at the body shop I didn't like how large and so standout'ish they were. Since Im going for a creative little racer look with this car I need to have something that works the same way and I do not want to go the hood pin route either.

I've seen some successful leather straps and was looking for pointers and or advice or experience using either.

Other out of the norm options would be excellent as well.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Jon W.
    72T Coupe - hotrod.
    72S "Tangie"
    73S Poop Brown
    69T Irish Green
    69S Secret Project
    S Registry Dues Paying member #1438

I've had the same doubts about mindlessly following the herd and just be another lemming to hang a set of the standard old rubber hold-downs on my car. So what if Porsche chose them back in the day. There has to be a more individual way.

Very early 911 used leather straps: ( see the first & second photo).

Ferrari used leather straps but didn't fasten them directly to the hood, rather used small brackets, ala the strap brackets 356s and 911s used on their back-shelves. The strap does not rub against the paint that way. Look easy to make. ( third photo )

Ferrari also used all-metal hold-down latches on all their sports-racing cars from the beginning through about the GTO era in the mid-'60s. They're neat looking, can be bought currently from an aftermarket source, (albeit for a ridiculous price -$ 475.00). I would fabricate them from aluminum, but I'm still trying to figure out how to utilize them on the front edge of a 911 trunk lid which is virtually vertical. These are deigned to press down on a horizontal surface. ( photo# 4) I suppose they could be made to work if you mount them and their " parking buttons" in the top of the front bumper and have them press down on a 90 dgree bracket mounted on the front edge of the hood. For the rear.....?.

French sports and racing cars of the post WWII era used spring latches as shown in photo 5. (Still available from Pegasus Racing in Stainless.)
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

John

Thank you very much, excellent information and exactly what I was looking for. I really like the look of the leather straps and the spring setup.

That would be a neat piece to fab up.

Did you make your decision? What did you wind up using?

Jon W.
    72T Coupe - hotrod.
    72S "Tangie"
    73S Poop Brown
    69T Irish Green
    69S Secret Project
    S Registry Dues Paying member #1438