Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1976 WideBody Non-Turbo? Did they make 'em?

1976 WideBody Non-Turbo? Did they make 'em?

Is there such thing as a 1976 factory widebody that isn't a 930? If so, how do you spot the real deal VS a conversion?

Don't believe so....

My understanding that the first year of the "turbo look" was 1984.

eric

76 wide body

Porsche would build special cars for special people but they didnt catalog such a car. Never say never with Porsche. The COA could help you find if it is original.

Quote Originally Posted by 66S View Post
    Porsche would build special cars for special people but they didnt catalog such a car. Never say never with Porsche. The COA could help you find if it is original.
    OH, I see, now we should caveat eveything we say with "never say never"... ok, a new acronym "nsn" has just been created, and I'll add it to the end of all my informational posts....gimme a break..

Quote Originally Posted by tommybarlow23 View Post
    Is there such thing as a 1976 factory widebody that isn't a 930? If so, how do you spot the real deal VS a conversion?
    I understand there is a 1977 Factory wide body car located in PA.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Don't believe so....

My understanding that the first year of the "turbo look" was 1984.

eric
    Yes. 1984 was the first year for the production "turbo look" option. It was available only as a coupe for that year. Turbo look targas and cabs were added in 1985 MY.

But like others have said, that doesn't preclude one-off special orders from having been built earlier. It's that they weren't a production option.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1972 911S Targa Paint to Sample Cocoa/Tan Leather (# 0836)

Other Early:
    1974 Carrera SR Coupe (USA) GP White/Tan Shetland Cloth/Gold "Carrera" Stripes
    1971 911T Coupe Tangerine/Black (Destroyed in fire at Porsche Shop )
    1968 912 Coupe Irish Green/Black

When In the "Dark" Side:
    1988 944 Turbo S Alpine White/Gray (1 of 481 Turbo S's Imported into USA)
    1991 928GT Guards Red/Spec Order Gray (1 of 85 GT's Imported into USA for 1991)

Current Daily Driver: 2007 Shelby GT Mustang

imho

Using your experience to answer someones question is to be applauded but no one knows "it all". I think the question was whether such a car could be factory built? I think it is quite possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 66S View Post
    Using your experience to answer someones question is to be applauded but no one knows "it all". I think the question was whether such a car could be factory built? I think it is quite possible.
    Yes, it IS/WAS quite possible.... and I don't know it all...never have claimed to.

However, to always throw in the caveat of "anything was possible if you have enough money" doesn't answer the question in a responsible manner for 99.9% of the questions that are posed on this board.... and I really hope you realize that.

Sounds more likely to me that he has found a 76 with turbo flares....

So... what's your best guess.... that the car has had some turbo flairs put on it sometime in the last 33 years, or that someone has found an ultrarare factory "one off"?

My answer was simply pointing what the factory did from a production standpoint..... if you want to go down that road of "nsn", well that's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it

regards,
    Eric Linden
    "never say never", and "anything was possible if you had enough money"

special

This is one of the Porsches that taught me the meaning of "Sonder". A 62 356B S-90 GT that went through our hands in the early 90's. No one thought it was original but it was including big brakes, FLARED fenders, 7" steel/alloy wheels, front oil coolers, brake ducts, cable pull carbs, and all the more common GT equipment. Im told this car is in a museum in Germany now. Cant we all get along?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lightbulb

YES, we can indeed gentleman...

There will always the exception, there will always be the special order, and more over there will always be what Hans or Dieter had left on there assembly cart on their way to a 3 beer lunch...

What Eric did do was answer a question in context with the predication of "I don't believe so" and "my understanding is" ...........
    There are others like:
    "I've learned", "the conventual wisdom is" ... all these leave room for the exceptions....... AND, they don't make it a blanket statement

Back in the early '70 I was a un-licensed phyic tech and one the chores was to do 'nurse's notes' at the end of a shift. Seeing most of us were para-professionals, and the nurse's notes could be used as a legal document, we were not aloud to use ANY assumptive statements. So we had to write "patient appeared to be sleeping, patient seemed to be combative, patient looked like he was on drugs............

I'm not saying we should all use these all of the time...........
    But, as Eric, the more room we leave for those wacky Huns the less arrogant we might seem......

My .02

Cheers,
    Chuck ......... "who appears to be one fast 60 year old".......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter