Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing myself

Introducing myself

After many years working on cars, including Porsche, I finally have one of my own. The car is a 1968 911S VIN 11801234. This car is for full restoration to factory original. It was purchased by my Uncle a few years after production and has 30K miles on it. It has been given to me as a gift for restoration and enjoyment. The car is currently being transported (with a delay now) to my home in Northern NY.

I am looking for any help on where to find parts and what is not accurate. Attached are pics (sorry, from my cell phone).

In addition, he had the engine rebuilt and the wrong sealant was used, resulting in some of the sealant circulating into the oil system and clogging it. A full teardown is therefore needed (not a problem, done lots of engine work on cars, including these).
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    1968 911S 30K miles
    2006 Saturn Ion DD
    1988 Beretta GT
    1981 5-Ton Chevy stake-bed

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation of this is a bad thing.

More pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1968 911S 30K miles
    2006 Saturn Ion DD
    1988 Beretta GT
    1981 5-Ton Chevy stake-bed

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation of this is a bad thing.

Nice

Nice car. Congrats and welcome to the board.

Others are better than me with the SWB stuff, but it appears you may have it pretty easy with swapping out the DOT mandated US equipment for the original Euro stuff.

You have a very rare car that was not imported to the US, so enjoy it.

I can tell you there should NOT be any decals for the wipers and turn signals on non-US cars.

Cheers.
    J-P
    S Registry #949

Great looking 68'....nice uncle keeping it stored for you all these years

Great car! Some quick notes from your pictures:

1. I believe if the car had a manual antenna, it was mounted on the drivers side, power on the other. Your COA can tell you what it came with originally.

2. Correct US headlights, my old '68T Euro had H1's stock which were illegal in US.

3. Hood badge is fuzzy but does look a little "brighter" than an original one.

4. No front S bumperettes, but they could have been an option on a Euro car, so maybe it never had them.

5. Ditch the speakers and stereo, but those door panels are hard to find in good shape, and pricey!

6. Gauges- hmm...looks like someone swapped a set of US spec 911T gauges into the car, from a later year, maybe '69?

7. As previously said, no W/W stickers for a Euro car.

8. The dome lights is the correct type. You can find these.

Does it still have the S motor? Do you have the COA on the car? Everybody will want to know that kind of thing, we love SWB cars! Good luck!
    1968 Porsche 911 #11830133 (2009- 2012)
    1968 Porsche 911T #11820522 (1997-2007)
    Registry Member #1536
    Hagerty Insurance Guy

Missing my Porsche. Need to find another SWB project!

Current cars:
    1918 Willys-Overland Model 90BT
    1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a
    1977 Chevrolet Suburban C20 "Trailering Special"
    1983 Ferrari 308 GTS Quattrovalvole
    1992 RHD Toyota Century

Hey, great! Finally got your login established. You will find this group very helpful.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Welcome - sounds like you've got a great project, and there are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people on this board. Keep us updated.

A very neat car. Welcome to the board.

Headlights are correct for '68. Like the Series 1 E Type Jaguar all the cars here had to go to an "open" sealed beam. '67 was the last of the glass covered sealed beams.

There should be no decals on the windshield washer/wiper stalk for European cars.

Tachometers were different in '68 and I cannot say for sure what is technically correct S because they were not imported here. We got one tach regardless of what it was.

Chrome bezels around courtesy lights are correct

Everything is easily corrected although the speaker holes in the door pockets will cost a little more.

Best of luck!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Very nice, very rare car, a real joy to see. When you have a moment, please post some engine bay shots, especially the electrics... the more the merrier.

And also, could you help me out, The distributor should be a Bosch 0231 159 002 as fitted to the `67S and `68S..... My question... does it have a yellow oval label, or is it black. Either is good, I`m just trying to work out when the black label was introduced/used.

Cheers, Mike.

welcome!
    re where to get parts:

- for most common stuff Pelican is cheap enough that there is no real need to go elsewhere; shipping is fast, but steep for smaller orders
    - Stoddard's is good & can get stuff most dealers cannot
    - your local dealer might want your support...

You might want to plan some trips to Germany for specialty items & a vacation...

You will need t make more decisions re what is factory original... some have rejected the "wrong" brand of bolts; others have powder coated or plated rust prone assemblies that are unseen even if that is not what the factory did

all have valid arguments in support, but you'll need to decide re your car...