Thread: Distributor and MFI help

Need help to identify distributor

Hi all.
    I´m struggling with getting my car back on the road. We have eliminated most of the problems now, only the MFI system left.
    The throtlebodies looked like they came from the bottom of a lake. I have now found a good used set, but when I compared them with the old ones I noticed the old ones have vacum-lines and the new stock ones have not..

And now the big question I should have found out a loong time ago This distributor is not 2,2S, right?? I do not have the part number, but believe the vacum came first on the 2,4 cars?

So, what to do now? Can I use this distributor or do I have to start looking for a stock 2,2S distributor? Why has this upgrade been done? Is it possible to just upgrade to later style distributor and attach vacum to the throtlebodies without upgrading the displacement? I still believe the engine is 2,2, but have only driven it for a day (last summer) before it stopped.

I´m on holiday right now and will only be online from time to time, but hope to find some replies when I´m back!

Best,
    Radmund

S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Distributor and MFI help

Those look like 2.2 throttle bodies where someone has added the vacuum ports. I don't know what the distributor is, since it has the vacuum diaphragm on it, and a 2.4 distributor has a larger diameter and a different clamping arrangement, so it shouldn't be a 2.4. Guess you need to remove the distributor and see what Bosch # it is.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I have now removed the distributor and checked the number. It is 0-231-169-010. That should indicate 73S.

Can the engine still be a 2,2 or does this distributor upgrade mean I now have a 2,4 engine????

S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Distributor and MFI help

Well I 've never seen that done before, but it looks like someone machined down a 2.4 distributor to fit into a 2.2 case. The distributor has the 2.2 style clamp. The vacuum retard was mainly to help reduce the H/C output at idle, did someone go to all that effort to pass emissions someplace.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed, I have machined several 2.4, 2.7 distributors to put in 2.2 cases. Works just fine. We have one in Richard Reeves race car.

Rich

Distributor and MFI help

Well I'll be dammed, the "other Rich Lambert" is now online. Welcome Rich,

So while I've been asleep the whole world has been out there machining 2.4 distributors down to 2.2, I gotta get out more
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.