Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Proper Introduction

Drive it like you stole it Ghost Chaser's Avatar

more photos (long)

thanks for the welcome guys. here's the short version of how i came to own my 2.2T. the story about the car goes like this:

in 1998 i was working with two professors at a business school called IMD in lausanne. professor #1 had purchased the car new, and told me how he'd sold it to professor #2 in 1984. professor #2 never drove the car, he just parked it in his underground garage and let it sit. as curious as i was about the car, i didn't dare ask professor #2 about it, as he wasn't really approachable about such subjects. i left the job a few months later, and we lost touch.

ten years later i found out professor #2 was going to retire, so i sent him an e-mail asking about the car. he replied back immediately telling me he still had it and maybe it was time to sell. he suggested i come look at it. then he got busy at work stopped responding to my mails for several months. in short, it took me nine months of working on him to finally get to see the car. all i knew about it was that it was white and a 911. he told me it was a '69. it wasn't until i came to look at it that confirmed it was a '71.

as you'll see in the photos i found the car kind of moldy and with spiderwebs underneath it. it also sat over a pool of oil that made it look like a homicide victim. it had steelies, and someone had applied positive stripes backwards, etc. just details. but overall the car looked save-worthy. the next day my mechanic and i towed it out into the sunlight and he gave it a detailed 360, which i used to negotiate the price with the owner. two weeks later a deal was struck and we started to revive the car.

here are a few photos of how i found it.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Rich

Early S Registry Member #1394.

It's nobody's business what cars I own. I will tell you one thing though, they're air cooled and I beat 'em like they owe me money.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. -- Mario Andretti

here are some photos of the t getting sorted out. it's undergone a full mechanical revision, suspension upgrades, brake work, got a new oil tank, gas tank refurbished, fuchs, positive stripes applied correctly, etc., and the cherry on the cake was the addition of my buddy ibmiked's sport seats (thanks mike!).
    Rich

It's nobody's business what cars I own. I will tell you one thing though, they're air cooled and I beat 'em like they owe me money.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. -- Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by larwik View Post
    Yes, welcome Rich...Aah, a light yellow sunroof -72S this time of the year in the Alps...Very Cool...Stacey S has #1450...I have #1451...Will S has #1453...You don't have #1452, do you?...if you do we're looking for you!../ Lars...
    Hi Lars,

mine's 1412, delivered new in Switzerland and has been here ever since.
    here's a picture of it with the original owner (sorry for the poor quality, it's kind of blurred, and has faded with age).

Cheers,
    Rich
    Rich

Another 2.2 71T..even better than a 68S

I've got the same seats (but w "flat bottom" headrests) but not the S-package.
    Have you been able to trace down its AMAG number, probably a small sticker
    on inner front fender of luggage compartment ? Does it have Weber carbs ?

Nice 2.4 72S too..
    Registry member No.773

Nice Porsches!!!

Say Rich,
    Are the oil lines under the Yellow car polished???
    Ed
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    Another 2.2 71T..even better than a 68S

I've got the same seats (but w "flat bottom" headrests) but not the S-package.
    Have you been able to trace down its AMAG number, probably a small sticker
    on inner front fender of luggage compartment ? Does it have Weber carbs ?

Nice 2.4 72S too..
    Thanks. The 2.2T was delivered new in Düsseldorf. The day I went to pick up the car, the owner said, "Oh, by the way I found this in my desk, I don't know if it's important or not." It, was the original Pflegepass from Autohaus Moll AG. It had service stamps in it through the first 52,000 km...
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by 69911T View Post
    Say Rich,
    Are the oil lines under the Yellow car polished???
    Ed
    Yes, Ed. I just couldn't resist.
    Rich