Thread: CAD II bright or mat finish?

CAD II bright or mat finish?

When doing CAD II plating are folks using a bright finish or a mat finish? Subject is a '67 911s.

Thanks in advance!
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

Bright or satin plating

In talking with the master of original 1967 911S - Paul Risinger, he showed me samples of bright plated hardware bolts that he had replaced with (original and correct) satin plated bolts.

Back in the 1980's and early 90's it was deemed proper to give show cars a little sparkle with over restored bits to wow the judges, but since then enough observations of unrestored samples have being studied to confirm the finish. Factory correct is satin.

We have a real expert in Paul Henninge who is in the process of studing just about all finishes on the 1964-68 early cars, I would defer to him on all prime coats, painted, plated bits and hardware.

hth.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Where can hardware be properly plated at this time? Especially the true cadmium plating? Anyone organizing group lots?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I just came across a plating shop at a small airport only about a mile from my house. Its in a maintenance hangar and usually, of course, works on aircraft parts. Their plating tank is under-used so they opened it up to outside projects. I just gave them 15 pounds of hardware which they will plate to 'aircraft standards'. I'm hoping that means 'quality'. They do either white or yellow plating but I have no idea if it is shiny or satin.
    Tony
    68 Sporto Project
    2016 Boxster

From my experience, true CAD plating comes out with more of a flat finish and ZINC coating is shiney. Both can be done in silver or yellow/gold. I was told CAD is more corrosion proof but it seems that it can be scratched off, whereas the ZINC seems more durable to tools etc.
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

On my 914 alloy wheel bolts (long suckers) I believe the original plating was a flat silver cad finish over copper plated steel. Where the cad is missing there is telltale signs of the classic turquoise copper corrosion. When cleaning, one can see the copper plating layer. I do not know if it is common to plate steel with copper before the top cadmium finish. I'm pretty sure the gold iridite finish cannot be pure cadmium or zinc since those metals are naturally silver colored.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I've been trying to duplicate the factory finish for quite some time. It took me a while to get the satin look like the factory and not the super bright sheen. I think I have it down now.

In about a week I will have my super secret Cad/Zink plating setup finished. I've been working on building it for a few months now. I use to use some of those cheap dIY setups but I have finally decided to pull the trigger and go a bit more high end. I was sick and tired of paying other people so much money for a relatively easy process. I've gone the hobby plating route for years. Im looking to get a little more serious with it. Now I have soda blasting capabilities as well, found an excellent used portable soda blaster in my local craigs list and that is probably the best prep for plating!!

If you can wait a week or so I will be happy to help fellow S registry members with their plating! Just need a wee bit more time.

The power supply I have coming is a huge improvement over my old unit. It can easily handle tiny objects with very low voltage all the way to large wheels/large items with High voltage.

The DIY Power supplies either have too much voltage for small things or not enough for the large ones. It should be fun!
    72T Coupe - hotrod.
    72S "Tangie"
    73S Poop Brown
    69T Irish Green
    69S Secret Project
    S Registry Dues Paying member #1438

factory plating..

zinc with yellow aridy baked on... Best looking that i have ever seen!!! Propper finish!