Thread: Center tunnel brake hardline replacement

Isn't chemistry always nano?

Center tunnel brake hardline replacement

As I failed inspection due to a weeping front caliper, the old girl is up on jackstands and getting the full suspension redo - polybronze, ect along with Eric Shea's kicken brembo upgrade for the early 3" spacing. Well given that the hardlines have been there for 42 years, I figure its time for replacement. I'm told that the center tunnel line can only be redone when the motor/tranny is out. Can one just snake a long piece of braided hose down the tunnel? I'm not changing motors for at least another year yet and the exposed hard lines do have visiable pitting - enought that they are getting tossed while everthing is appart.

Thoughts anyone?

Center tunnel brake hardline replacement

If you use that much braided line you will have a softer pedal.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

i just pulled my center tunnel line yesterday.
    my engine is out.
    taking out the old line was easy;
    2 circlips and grommets at either end.
    there are 2 metal tabs accessible thru the openings in front of the handbrake that must be pried apart, so the carpet has to come out.
    i attached a wire to my old tubing to help fish the replacement.
    i bet with a gentle curve you could pull a hard line back in place
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Isn't chemistry always nano?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Robmog, I'm wondering if I couldnt fish it in from the front. Any idea if there is enought room from the shifter access to get a hand in the tunnel to steer it to the rear mount point?

the rear exit is easy, you can see it from the rear vent/shift couple access
    the front is a bit trickier with the speedo cable and hard fuel lines.
    with a bright light (outside) the line is stiff enough to position.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe