Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, WAY off topic! Anyone else ever built a "Spud Gun?"

So many questions, so few answers....

Okay, WAY off topic! Anyone else ever built a "Spud Gun?"

I built a down and dirty quick spud gun after reading an article on-line. What a kick in the arse! Now I want to know if anyone on the "S" board has built one with a little bit of flare. Anything that is Porsche related? I'd like nothing more than to build a spud gun with a few Porsche details mixed in.

If you haven't played with these toys, give it a go. It is like th Fourth of July seven days a week.

Sorry for the distraction. Just looking for ideas.

Joe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

I have one under construction that is use for lauching ropes into trees to support Ham Radio antennas.

http://www.antennalaunchers.com/antlaunching.html
    Don
    912 Registry Charter Member #68

Flo - 69 912 Targa - Champagne Yellow
    Jack - 69 912 "R" Coupe - Terrorist Tangerine
    Bill (as in William "Refrigerator" Perry) - 97 E350 Powerstroke - White - (P-car puller deluxe)
    Kermit - 04 John Deere 4310 4WD - is there another color?
    Tony - 60 Buick Invicta 4-door hardtop

Surely you jest. We've made several varieties including one we attempted to use a BMW ignition magneto to fire a spark plug. I think a CDI box would give better results.

This is an event you should go to if possible:

http://www.punkinchunkin.com/

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

So many questions, so few answers....

I had no idea!

Don, I had no idea that there was truly a practical application for these things. But what a great idea!

Tom, I have seen this event on TV. The range of the big cannons is amazing. Perhaps a big too large for my intentions, but some cool ideas to toy with. I was considering a chrome exhaust tip on the end of the barrel.

Fun stuff!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

Shouldn't that be "Chucking"???

I guess the "end product" is chunks.
    Don

Bill (as in William "Refrigerator" Perry) - 97 E350 Powerstroke - White - (P-car puller deluxe)

Quote Originally Posted by Sacto S View Post
    Don, I had no idea that there was truly a practical application for these things. But what a great idea!
    Should work better then the wrist rocket sling shot I have with a Zebco fishing reel attached that I have been using. I have also tried a bow and arrow - pffffffffffft. I have LOTS of trees at my place in Mariposa to support wire antennas but so far I have not been able to get a rope up high enough to satisfy me. I'm trying for about 70'. This should do the trick.
    Don

Wow talk about a blast from the past. Back i the day I built a spud gun from PVC piping made a spray can holder at the base with a hose that was allow me to squirt the spray into the chamber then used a simple grill replacement starter push button thing. We had alot of fun, that is until ..... ....

My friend dave lived next to Gary Lang in McHenry back in their old downtown location. He had the spud gun and aimed it up over the fence and shot it into the back of a vans rear window, went through the rear window and into the dash. Well too bad mister security guard watched the entire thing and quietly wandered over to daves house.

Dave had to work for the dealer for the entire summer to pay for the damage!
    That was the end of the spud gun. But it was sure cool at the time!!
    72T Coupe - hotrod.
    72S "Tangie"
    73S Poop Brown
    69T Irish Green
    69S Secret Project
    S Registry Dues Paying member #1438

Wink What goes up----

I had one! Pvc and a starter from a barbeque.I used hairspray for the gas and it was just like a mortar.Problem is that what goes up,must come down.They do not do well to shake shingle roofs.Splinters was my vague recollection due to a prolonged cocktail hour.That was back in my younger days when I was 65 or 66.I am older now and more mature! Tom
    Member:S Registry #864

Quote Originally Posted by tfmcmahon View Post
    ..............That was back in my younger days when I was 65 or 66.I am older now and more mature! Tom
    Now THAT'S funny !

There's hope for Tom (Sithot)

When I first saw this post I immediately thought of the episode of American Chopper where Mikey makes a spud gun using copper tubing and compressed air.

I had always know the spud guns that used hairspray or cigarette light fluid. But, the one they built on the show was very nice, with all the copper pipe sweated together.

Seems with compressed air you can regulate the pressure more easily and thus, also make it more powerful! They used something like 1/2" or 3/4" tube, and would put only a piece of potato in the tube by jamming it on the end of the tube to cut it to the shape of the tube.

Ultimately they took it to the next level and were putting broom stick handles in the barrel and shooting those as well. Of course, shooting the broom stick handles THRU the door of Sr.'s office.

My thoughts now run to making the perfect water balloon launcher for the next block party to compete with those silly little water balloon slingshots. Using maybe 3" pvc tubing and say a 40" barrel and compressed air. Hell, you could probably load 3, 4, or even 5 balloons in at a time. But, would have to figure a way to keep the balloons from exploding from the pressure to start...maybe some sort of soft wadding???

Peter

Peter