Page 60 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate R thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie W View Post
    gva-sfo thanks for all your work, showing the history of the R.

The 911R photo in Simoni's post 583, Is it real or not? Looking closely, it appears inconsistent with the series cars in several details...

Thanks Ernie,

About the "911R summary", I would love to read your comments. I bet that I have some inconsistencies on it !
    Well, I should really work to translate it in English, ..before asking that ! (hoping that my English will be readable )

After looking at your "comments" on "the real deal at the Mille Miglia", (..as usual, they are all full of good sense !), I can think that it looks to be a nice "tribute to the R" car, ..and I doubt that it is worse to spend time finding and browsing license plates records !

Thanks again, + all the best

To unravel a little of the mystery, Dick Moran owned 3 but sold them. He had an impressive collection of RS and RS-h’s too.

As I posted in another thread I think R3 was made in aluminum as it was built specifically to race in the Marathon de la Route, under which class rules required metal bodywork not fiberglass.

There are some restoration pictures of R3 referenced; does anyone have those that I can see? Who restored it?

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    Here is a photo of the car on Flickr and the caption provided:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smuckat...n/photostream/

"Jim McDaniel and Greg Sullivan couldn't work out the bugs in this 911 Porsche and had to pack up the car and go home. They failed to start the race. The fellow who entered the car was a Porsche dealer from Arlington, Virginia by the name of Joe Heishman."

Attachment 234420
    Most of books mention Daytona and Sebring 68 for this car. But it also raced at VIR in april 68, even Racingsportscars.com site mention the car did not arrive. The car was present in the paddock with N°4. Don't know if this car raced after this event. If someone have more informations...

911r vir 68.JPGName:  911r vir 68.JPG
Views: 638
Size:  64.2 KB

Ill Chime in as I'm building an R Tribute.
    I have a Narrow Body car without widened flares so I passed on this kit.
    Apparently R1 had these on her in the 80s. I really wanted to buy them. (PM me for the owners name. He wants $20,000 euros)

I should just buy them. Anyways, here they are on R1 below.

Name:  IMG_2812.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  86.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_2814.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  86.5 KB
    Name:  Capture3.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  43.5 KB
    Name:  unnamed (2).jpg
Views: 640
Size:  45.8 KB
    Name:  unnamed (1).jpg
Views: 641
Size:  79.7 KB
    Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  111.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Longhitv View Post
    Ill Chime in as I'm building an R Tribute.
    I have a Narrow Body car without widened flares so I passed on this kit.
    Apparently R1 had these on her in the 80s. I really wanted to buy them. (PM me for the owners name. He wants $20,000 euros)

I should just buy them. Anyways, here they are on R1 below.
    Hello Longhitv,
    I'm Swiss, but I do not know Mr. Marco Marinello (his shop is in Zürich). The parts you mention were for sales on his web site (www.elevenparts.com), but btw, seems to have been sold now !
    I would tend to say that you can fully trust Mr. Marinello, he is known to be more than a very serious Porsche "Intelligence" person ! One of his very well known area of expertise is anything about the "356's".
    For example, about the 356, this is HIM, ..that closed the discussions about the 21th 356 GTL Abarth, by writing a paper that mentioned that the chassis #021 was NOT a GTL Abarth but an hybrid, i.e.: a 356A body ..that was installed (by the factory) on a 356B chassis !
    (For those that are interested, I think after years of searches, he even located that "crazy" 356 with the chassis "#021" !!)
    Good continuation and all the best for your tribute to a "R" project.

Marco has been a known entity for longer than most of us have been involved in this hobby. Extremely kind and superbly knowledgeable. I have bought stuff from him in the past and would not hesitate to do so again. He gets the best and most rare stuff

912 r

Quote Originally Posted by gva-sfo View Post
    Hello Longhitv,
    I'm Swiss, but I do not know Mr. Marco Marinello (his shop is in Zürich). The parts you mention were for sales on his web site (www.elevenparts.com), but btw, seems to have been sold now !
    I would tend to say that you can fully trust Mr. Marinello, he is known to be more than a very serious Porsche "Intelligence" person ! One of his very well known area of expertise is anything about the "356's".
    For example, about the 356, this is HIM, ..that closed the discussions about the 21th 356 GTL Abarth, by writing a paper that mentioned that the chassis #021 was NOT a GTL Abarth but an hybrid, i.e.: a 356A body ..that was installed (by the factory) on a 356B chassis !
    (For those that are interested, I think after years of searches, he even located that "crazy" 356 with the chassis "#021" !!)
    Good continuation and all the best for your tribute to a "R" project.
    Marco is very nice. He helped my with my 356s back in 2005. The said parts on his site are sold. Correct!.
    Sold to a gentleman that purchased them a while ago and they are still in his possession for $22,000. I have email discussions back and forth with him. So if you were interested PM me. I had my panels made and they are very similar amber resin to R01. So Im happy. Since my car is remaining a Narrow body, Marcos listed sold panels wont work for me. Cool none the less.
    Last edited by Longhitv; 12-07-2020 at 06:38 PM.