Thread: Advice on Asking Price 73.5 T CIS

Advice on Asking Price 73.5 T CIS

Hi Guys,
    Hope this is in the right spot on the forum.

Getting ready to sell my 1973 ½ 911T CIS. I don’t really follow the 911 market so looking for some informed opinions on a fair asking price. Happy to give someone who will own and enjoy it a nice price, but don’t want to give it away and see it on ebay the next day.
    I would appreciate a PM with opinions especially from people who have recently been looking or purchased similar cars.

Thanks in advance.
    Dan

73.5 911T CIS
    Solid tub
    Original Tangerine, now red.
    Engine rebuilt 20k miles ago.
    Needs cleaning and tidying up but basically very solid car.
    Dash cracked, has cover.
    Door pockets present but warped.
    Carpets could use replacement.
    Has alarm system that should be taken out.
    Runs and drives very nicely.

Car is shown in the center of the below pic.

Like to more pictures here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9585448...887021/detail/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Dan,
    I bought a car very similar to yours 2 years ago for $10,400. It had the original 2.4T motor with MFI and ran well. It was also a blood orange original car that was painted red in the 80-90's. What a coincidence. It also had a very bad dash, and a/c which was disconnected and no longer worked. The car was overall very rust free free except for the driver side door jam. The only thing I see on your car that puts me off a little is the undercoating on the bottom of the car looks disturbed as if there is rust underneath. have you poked around down there to see if it is solid?

Hi Dan,

Although I own a 993, I've been following the "T" market for several months now.

Here are my guestimates for a general CIS:

1. A driver (may have some very minor surface rust/chrome pitting, interior will need to be restored at some point, mechanically sound, no structural rust, matching numbers, paint polishes nicely): $17,000ish

2. A driver that is a restored driver (assuming the restoration is recent, painted in original color, may do well in local shows, mechanically well-sorted, a car you would be proud of, etc...): $25,000ish

3. A restored to high standards: $35,000+ish

I would pay $9,000 assuming:

1. the rust is truly confined to the areas described
    2. the engine is in good shape (solid leakdown and compression)
    3. the tranny shifts smoothly in all gears

In other words, the car can be driven as it stands right now and the new owner can take his time replacing the interior, etc...while still being able to enjoy the car. The market has softened considerably over the last couple of years for 996's, 993's, 964's and all 911's except for longhoods.

Hope this helps,
    Jason

ps - where are you located?
    95 C4 / Guards Red...(Sold)
    2005 997 Carrera Arctic Silver/Black...(Sold)
    95 C4 / Polar Silver...(Sold)
    10 Cayman S / Atlas Grey

You guys are brutal (note to my file: Never ask the value of my car around here ).

I looked at a car in Atlanta that was a '73 CIS in the original color (silver). It had air (which worked, go figure) and a sunroof (did not work). It also has the cookie cutter wheels. It also had the original service records in the glove box (a car from San Fransisco). I do not recall the odometer, but it didn't have excessive miles for the original and unmolested 2.4L CIS.

I didn't make an offer because someone else had already offered $15K, and I thought that was all the money.

Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Racer View Post
    You guys are brutal (note to my file: Never ask the value of my car around here ).

I looked at a car in Atlanta that was a '73 CIS in the original color (silver). It had air (which worked, go figure) and a sunroof (did not work). It also has the cookie cutter wheels. It also had the original service records in the glove box (a car from San Fransisco). I do not recall the odometer, but it didn't have excessive miles for the original and unmolested 2.4L CIS.

I didn't make an offer because someone else had already offered $15K, and I thought that was all the money.

I am guessing that the car you passed on was a few years ago before prices went crazy. I am also assuming that the car is not the one in the picture - because it has a european plate on the front bumper, and that the car in the picture has definitely been restored.

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911 View Post
    I am guessing that the car you passed on was a few years ago before prices went crazy. I am also assuming that the car is not the one in the picture - because it has a european plate on the front bumper, and that the car in the picture has definitely been restored.
    No, it was about 2 weeks ago that I looked at the car.

Another problem with the car was the fact that it didn't have any paperwork (except the original service records in the glove box). It seems that the wife got the car in a divorce settlement (the guy got the boat).

The European plate was just a eBay (or flea market) addition.

It hasn't been restored. The car is in a body shop with lighting that makes the car look better than it really is. There were a couple of scratches on the paint (right-side door) that were showing service rust.

Rear view:
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350