Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My '72 "RSR" tribute is finished

Answers to questions and a few more photos

Thanks for all the great comments. I really like this car and I'm looking forward to enjoying it with those of you in the Northeast this fall. I thought I might be able to bring it out to the Monterey Historics in a few weeks but the logistics aren't working out that way.

Luke (Macroni) suggested that I post a few photos of where we started since he has experienced my joy and frustrations in-person over the past year as we worked through this build - Does anyone remember this '72T on eBay (First four photos)? That is what we started with and it wasn't close to rust-free based on the number of areas that we cut off and replace to get it all correct and solid. I'll share a few of those photos if anyone is interested in seeing how you cut a corner of a 911 off with a Sawzall and weld a donor corner back on.

Now for the questions.....

Color - Signal Yellow (Glasurit single stage without any clear) - I loved it on my '73 RS Carrera that we did last year so we used the left over paint to do this one

Twin Plug Distributor - We went with a Dave Jarvis (Jarvis Tech in Geismar, LA) distributor and a Jag cap and rotor. Any of you who have purchased a rare, and getting rarer, original Bosch twin-plug cap and rotor for $1100+ will understand my motivation to take this direction.

Seatbelt mounting points on the tunnel - We fabricated and welded bungs into the tunnel to accept the seatbelt hardware.

Exhaust / Decibel levels - It will definitely wake up the neighbors in its current configuration. We fabricated in-line silencers into the megaphones, but I'm not sure it's going to get me past many of PA's finest. Fortunately it is registered as an antique, so no formal emissions or noise tests required. I also bought an M&K 2 in-2 out "911R" muffler and had it hot coated to match the headers, but I really liked the look and sound of the cookie-cutter megaphones. I'm likely to set it up so I can change them out as necessary.

Northeast Events - After the Colorado Parade, I shipped the car back to the race shop in FL (BTW Intercity hauled it and they were fantastic in every way) and haven't hauled it north yet. I'll probably have it back in PA in late August after the Monterey Historic. I'm planning to go up to Limerock for the vintage event over Labor Day weekend. The car is fully configured to race (fuel cell, roll hoop, harnesses, dual cutoff switches, full fire system, etc.) but I'm not sure I want to mix it up with some of the more aggressive vintage drivers who seem to be more and more comfortable "trading paint" these days.

A few more build details (last photo)...

Instead of using a dual fuel pump set up mounted next to the smuggler's box that was used on customer RSRs, we uses the same single pump set up as the factory Martini RSR, which was to mount the same pump that was used on 917s and 908s low in the smuggler's box.

This is some interesting detail trivia....The Martini RSR also used a lightweight aluminum 917 radius rod with tapered ends and welded-in bungs to receive heim joints for the front strut tower brace (I guess you do that kind of thing if you are the Porsche factory and you have 917 parts just laying around in 1973). Rather than use the customer built RSR type braces, that were a hollow tube with fixed bolt receivers sleeves, we went the 917 radius rod route (a real one pried out of the Gunnar Racing parts stash) and we fabed up the ends for the heim joints. I love this somewhat meaningless detail, which to me adds a very high cool factor under the hood.

For those of you who have asked about the MFI cold start issues. We did set up a mechanical cold start system that gives a shot of fuel directly into the mid-point of injection stacks at start up (you can see this in the earlier photos of the injection stacks). We used a 962 horn/start button mounted to the right of the steering wheel so you can hit it as you turn the key. The whole start process was a challenge for the first start at 11,000 feet in Colorado considering it was tuned in FL at sea level and it was gasping for breath in the thin air.

Last point... The hood is VERY thin and super light weight. So light that it wouldn't support the Cibies that I wanted to mount. I may need to go back to a steel hood and mount up the beams. Thoughts anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Lee Giannone (Eastern PA)
    Early S Registry #808
    1960 356 Super 90 Roadster
    1966 911 2.0L Vintage Racecar
    1972 RSR Tribute
    1975 Privateer RSR (Diego Febles)
    1997 993 C2S Factory Aero
    1984 962-102 (Coca-Cola / Akin)
    1973 RS Carrera #911 360 1018 (2008 Parade Grand Champion) Sold
    1968 911L #11810414 FIA Group 2 Rallye Car (Destroyed in Fire '08)
    1975 RSR #911 560 9114 (Sold)
    1975 RSR #911 560 9122 (Sold)

The small but authentic factory RSR details are easy to overlook. As Lee would send me details over the past year they would seem trivial but in the completed car they are overwhelming. IMO, This combination of Jeannette skill and Giannone resource / motivation has truly captured the spirit of a factory RSR.

I must admit to a bit of jealousy.......
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

More detail shots

1- Note the light-weight hood flexing under its own weight during concours judging at the Parade.

2- Kevin Jeanette cut and shaped the front cooler screen so it perfectly matches the curve of the bumper line. BTW - The latch receiver plate seen in this photo was "too shiny" for one particular concours judge who docked us 5/10s for it. We lost the overall by 2/10s. The "RSR" scored 294.9 out of 300. The group Grand Champion winner scored 295.1

3- The fabricated washer bottle bracket is tied into the strut tower brace. The bottle had to be relocated because of the addition of the '73 fuel cell, which was made from the factory mold.

4- Dual electrical cut off keys on the front apron and centered in the dash speaker grill.

5- Dual fire system pulls on the front apron and next to the e-brake, in reach of yours truly.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Lee Giannone (Eastern PA)
    Early S Registry #808
    1960 356 Super 90 Roadster
    1966 911 2.0L Vintage Racecar
    1972 RSR Tribute
    1975 Privateer RSR (Diego Febles)
    1997 993 C2S Factory Aero
    1984 962-102 (Coca-Cola / Akin)
    1973 RS Carrera #911 360 1018 (2008 Parade Grand Champion) Sold
    1968 911L #11810414 FIA Group 2 Rallye Car (Destroyed in Fire '08)
    1975 RSR #911 560 9114 (Sold)
    1975 RSR #911 560 9122 (Sold)

Lee, outstanding car. Looking forward to seeing it in Limerock.
    Regarding lightweight hood, and cibie's, ...
    as its not going to race, why not have 2 hoods .... a la John Audette's transformer car. One steel hood with the cibie's and one lightweight hood. Should be doable, and changing from one to the other would not take so long, if you set it up to be swappable, no?
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Lee:

This is a beautiful car! The detail and execution are superb. Lots of researched bits, and a great color. The underside needs to have a mirror when showing....like the hot rod guys do. Congrats on a great effort...and now enjoy it.

Gib
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Lee,
    Explain the windows and the process of building them....
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Fuel pump

Beautiful car - nice work

With the "001" MFI electric pumps now NLA, the 917/Aston/Mercedes electric pump (912.608.101.00 = F 026 T03 006) you have mounted is a good option....and they're now being produced by Bosch again.