Thread: BMW to pull out of F1

BMW to pull out of F1

Just announced they won't be back next year.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/front/BM...71198000&ty=st
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Saw that earlier...bummer...

Vic

They're going Superbike racing...

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...One_Car_Racing
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Sorry to see BMW throw in the towel but it really was inevitable, wasn't it? Over the last few weeks they had even been in touch with Norbert Haug, head of the M-B motorsports operation about discussions to possibly combine the BMW & M-B F-1 efforts into one German superteam, similar to the '36-'39 Silver Arrows concept with the government sponsoring both Auto-Union and Mercerdes with the same amounts of subsidies. Mercedes wisely declined their proposal.

In BMW's particular case it's easy to find a couple of silver linings in their departure;
    1. with luck, we'll never have to suffer Doctor Mario again,
    2. it allows Heidfeld to retire with a shred of his dignity intact, ( I'm betting he'll end up in DTM next year with a guest drive at LeMans)
    3. but the real good news is that Kubica is now available for next year. Would love to see him partnering Vettel @ Red Bull and send Weber into a well-desrved retirement.

All of the BMW buzz pales however when compared to the impact of the the announcement in the German scandalsheet "Bild" ( sort of a Teutonic "National Enquirer" grade publication, but they do have lots of scources) this morning that Michael Schumacher will stand in for Massa for the rest of the year. Personally, I will have to see him strapped into an F60 at the start-line in Valencia & beyond before I believe it but what the Hell, Hope springs eternal. Supposedly Luca deM. is on his way to Budapest to Masa's bedside to inform him of Schumi's decision to re-activate himself.

If it's true (and turns out to be a sincere, genuine effort on his part to salvage the teams season, as opposed to a clumsy publicity stunt like Armstrongs Tour de France adventure) I think we could be treated to some superb racing. Just imagine a Belgian GP against Hamilton on a rainy weekend @ Spa.....that would be one for the ages.

PS: This just in ( Jeez, I sound like Walter Winchell) but F. Alonso has announced that he is starting a new Cycling team for next season. It will be sponsored by Santander, (who are an outgrowth of the old Banesto Banking consortium, who in the early '90s sponsored M. Indurain's TdF vicories), and will have as it's superstar lead rider none other than AC himself ( Alberto Contador) along with only Spanish riders. Appearantly the entire deal was consumated in Monaco after the prologue time trial.

I wonder if that segue into cycling as a team principal is a peek into Alonsos planned retirement from F-1 in the next couple of years. After all, how long can Renault continue in F-1 with the unions being so hostile to the expense to field a team while cutting jobs in the plants, and now with the banning at Valencia ( his home race no less) and on-again off-again rumors of contract at Ferrari starting next year.......perfect time for alternate plans. Just think, he's not even 30 yet.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

a clumsy publicity stunt like Armstrongs Tour de France adventure
    Say what! I hardly call a podium finish after a 3 yr. plus retirement in one of the most grueling athletic events in the world a "publicity stunt". A poor choice of words IMHO. He was a volunteer on Astana for heaven's sake.

Pretty cool that Schumi is coming back to take over Alonso's ride. We'll see how he stands up the G's after practically zero practice time in the car. Should be interesting for sure.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Finishing 3rd out of 200 in a three week race is a publicty stunt?

And as for Contador, he is an incredible climber and time trialist, but he made a couple of bonehead moves that really screwed his team. I don't know if it was because he is young and foolish or that he just doesn't care about the team. Maybe it's a Spanish thing, with Alonso as his new team principal and mentor he stands to learn from the best about being divisive within a team.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garfield View Post
    Just announced they won't be back next year.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/front/BM...71198000&ty=st
    Looks like I sold my M3 just in time then Oh wait, Porsche is out of top-level racing, Audi is out of rally ..... what do I buy now? Maybe a Mustang since Ford has just taken over title sponsorship of NASCAR Nationwide Series! Shield your eyes before scrolling down
    Attached Images Attached Images

Always look to Maranello for automtive salvation. They've been on a roll this year ( everywhere but F-1......but I'm told Schumi will see to that).

Honestly, isn't it gorgeous.....I wonder if I can convince my wife that it would be an anniversary present to both of us for our 45th later this autumn.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    Honestly, isn't it gorgeous.....
    Ferrari, with an occasional misstep, does seem to find the right designer for the time.

Curt, I feel your pain. That car was too nice to put miles on, but that is exactly what it needed. I hate it when value overcomes purpose.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    Honestly, isn't it gorgeous
    I'd go with "cute" rather than "gorgeous" ... it makes me sad to see the Enzo's lines leaking into Ferrari's designs.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687