Thread: It's alive!

It's alive!

Hi everyone,

I just celebrated a major milestone in the restoration of my 72S - the rebirth of the engine after a complete rebuild.

It was a great honor for me to have the engine personally rebuilt by a respected Porsche expert in Switzerland who's been working with their road and racing cars since long before I was born, and who built engines for Le Mans class-winning Porsches back in the 70s.

I insisted that my mechanic, who is managing the overall restoration, promise me he wouldn't turn the engine over even once until I could be present, and despite the risk of embarrassment he remained true to his word. The Friday before last, I drove over to his workshop with still and video cameras, and we recorded everything live.

After priming the system with oil, the engine started without a hitch. It was a thrilling moment for me. So loud I could hardly record without clipping!

I thought I'd share with you these two video clips - the first proper runs without, and then with, the air filter mounted. (I should mention that the MFI, exhaust, etc. are not those destined for the final car and were only used for the test, and that the engine has not yet been cleaned and detailed cosmetically.)

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bQ1yclM4sDA&hl=de&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bQ1yclM4sDA&hl=de&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hYEJlWg1TSA&hl=de&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hYEJlWg1TSA&hl=de&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

I'm very appreciative of the help and knowledge available on this Registry to beginners like me. Many thanks personally to Brian and Kenik for your advice way back when I was wondering if the original case could still be used.

I expect I'll be asking more questions shortly as the rest of the work proceeds

Best, Guru
    Guru Sivaraman

1972 S
    1977 3.0 Carrera

Early S Reg. #1199

Guru...

It sounds great...nice videos....
    I am sure you can't wait to get the engine in the car and take it out for a drive..
    great looking shop too...
    good luck with the rest of the project!

Was this before the break-in?

I thought the procedure was 20 minutes of solid running at an elevated idle (3000rpm?) to let the cams and rockers get to know each other well.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Interesting question: not being remotely an expert myself, I asked my mechanic about this.

He doesn't see any need for a continuous break-in immediately when the engine is started for the first time. In this case, the engine was started, then minor checks and adjustments were made, then the engine was run again a couple of times.

The next phase will be to do a systematic, detailed step-by-step check and adjust during which the engine will be run for continuous periods at various rpms. Finally, after engine and MFI have been adjusted, there will be a fair bit of road testing.

That's how I understand the process he is using.

Best, Guru
    Guru Sivaraman

1972 S
    1977 3.0 Carrera

Early S Reg. #1199

Guru, great !
    ...perfect timing too for upcoming ESSES V19/3 article.

May I add some pic of your viper green 72S (picture shot of may 2009)

and Tobia's shop with customer cars, including RS #1465.
    Registry member No.773

Karim,

Hard to believe that it's over two years since I called you up to ask whether a 1972 911 restoration would be a good idea!

Thank you again for all your help and encouragement. It's taken much longer than I expected and there's a way to go, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

A story in the Esses like the great ones you have written would be a challenge, but I think I'd give it a go...

Best, Guru
    Guru Sivaraman

1972 S
    1977 3.0 Carrera

Early S Reg. #1199

Guru,

Congratulations! What a sweet sound that is, especially when it is your engine. Hard to believe you have been at this for 2 yrs. When it is finally done I can't think of a better place on the planet to drive your car than CH. Thanks for the update.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299