Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 901 transmission mount bushings ???

901 transmission mount bushings ???

Are you guys aware of any replacement rubber mounts made to go in a 901 transmission mounts beam ?

The replacement parts (Pelican - 2 piece), seen above when not yet installed, are the only part I know that works for an early beam (not 915 style). Installation proved that they are WAY too hard for my car and transmit tons of cockpit vibrations...

I'd like to find the real rubber ones, like the ones still on the beam on the photo above, but not worn out ;-)

Wevo can convert my beam to a 915 style but I am afraid all their stuff is at best just as hard as what I have (not a criticism, they make a good product but I need softer mounts).... Long story short, the softness is important as it's to be used on my 912, for a catch 22 situation (912 mount refurb'ed still allows too much tranny movement front to back, the 901 mount "as is" with the pelican mount cures that 100% but introduces too much vibration in the cabin, I guess them 356 motors are not as smooth as flat 6'es ;-)

TIA for any help, I'm stumped!! Greg.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Greg...wevo is making two versions now....blue and black...hard / soft...
    did you see them or know anything about the newer soft ones.....john

I've sent them an email but Wevo modifies my beam ($250) + there is no telling how much softer the black "pillow" is vs. what I already have, unless you have tried both... I'd really like the stock rubber bushing setup, if it exists ;-(
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

I just had my 901 beam done by Wevo w/ the black bushings. They seem to transmit a bit more vibration than the worn original bushings. But the shifting is improved, IMO. (I also have the black Wevo engine mounts).
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

My last discussion with Paul Domitrovic at Stoddard was short and not-so-sweet. He said the crossmember had the bushings affixed to it. To repair it like new means you replace the whole thing with a new one (or send yours to WEVO).

I'm cannot guaranted any of this but I cannot find a part number for the 901 bushing on PET. All the diagram lists are "Seats". The picture of the crossmember appears to have bulges where the bushing would be located. There are 4 seats which sandwich the bushing (2 to a side).

Hayden Burvill (WEVO) makes some tremendous products and the engineering is second to none but I would doubt that the black are anywhere near as compliant as rubber. The update is pretty cool though!
    Check out the photos on the website.

Good luck. I was researching the same thing.

Now, if someone would prove me wrong I'd be a happy camper.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I bought the bushings alone from WEVO and had my mechanic put them in. Shouln't be too hard for a decent mechanic to do.

The blue is a little harsh for anything other than a race car IMHO.
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

It seems that WEVO is all tooled up to produce these, they just need to be in an original factory compliant product (rubber?). Do it Hayden, there are lots of cars 911's and 912's waiting.

If you look carefully at Wevo's product, they also use a much smaller bushing. All things being equal (same compliant rubber), the Wevo setup would transmit more vibration for this reason alone.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Than you all, especially 911scfanatic for the "hands on" experience report. Keep in mind this was for my 912, not my 911, so the softness of bushings is paramount as the 912 engine vibrates a LOT more than a 911's - Porsche went through 3 engine mount systems and 2 tranny mounts before calling it a day and not building 912s anymore ;-) (longhood ones anyway). As it stands, I hate the vibrations from the 901 beam but love the solid shifting (and absolute lack of tranny movement) provided by the 901 mount... but it's coming off probably. Too harsh. This is not race car, it's a cruiser...

I've ordered a 6 mount engine beam, I'll put new rubber there and preload it. I'll try this setup with the 901 tranny beam and then with the stock 912 transmission mount again. Pretty sure the 912 one will win ! I can take some shifter vibration, but I hate the whole chassis feeling like a cheap motel bed ! ;-)

Again, thanks for confirming the wevo option... I figured wevo makes nothing that is soft ;-) Not to say I don't like their stuff, but in this case that is not what I am looking for...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

flatfour

Lightbulb Transmission Mounts Rebel S Racing

Hello,
    I am also serching for new Transmission Mounts. Originals from Porsche doesn´t exist.
    After a long search I found this: http://www.rebelracingproducts.com/EngineRelated.html
    The black mounts are OEM hardness, for street cars very important. The mount hanger need no changes like WEVO.
    Have anyone experience about the Rebel Transmission Mounts?
    Regards from Germany
    Juergen

Name:  rubber.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  25.0 KB