Thread: Weber Rebuild - girlfriend pic

Weber Rebuild - girlfriend pic

It's a solid 85 here in Ohio. I have given up for now. I have superglued my merilli dist rotor, fixed my dist clamp, and am now suspecting a crappy fuel pump. Since searching for various items, I came across the advice of "Check/Measure/Adjust"...Must remember, good advice! While checking my points, I noticed the dist was not tight. Sheesh,I knew I needed to get back to that. The stamped clamp was not holding, had made it only better previously but KNEW it needed attention.

So, am working towards a good 900 rpm to check the air, maybe now. I thought I had it, but started seeing fuel flow go dry in my filter. This is the second see through filter, just to see what is going through the line. I promise I will get a proper filter. The idle seemed to drop when it went dry. No f'ing kidding. Thought I might be running low and went to the gas station. It's very encouraging that I can get to the gas station and back with only preliminary carb adjustment.
    I am going to reference this post:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...p+intermittent
    Here is my fuel pump setup. I also am going to quote sonett43, "pumps in that form factor" mostly junk if i recall.

Also a pic of the girlfriend birdwatching in WV. And my headlights, I thought they were very cool. You all like pictures right?

Am I right in thinking I have a problem getting a good solid fuel pressure if my filter is going dry? Or is that typical?

Thanks, everybody needs a hobby right? (If I don't mow some grass soon....)
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    69 911 T #100176 Sportomatic
    Vanagons, 97 Jetta VR6, Misc junk...

fuel pump

Those pumps generally wont work as a "pull" pump but can work if mounted near the tank and close to the low fuel level. With this gravity assisted feed they will "push" fuel fairly well.
    Jeff Eelkema
    69E (project)
    S Reg #1431
    Aust TYP 901 #132

Somebody needs to start reproducing our MFI fuel pumps. They are quite pricey, otherwise, assuming you can find one (at least online):

Pelican - NLA:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item3

Zim's - "Due to lack of cores, these are R&R only":

http://www.allzim.com/acatalog/Reman..._73_w_MFI.html

Maybe these might work OK?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...=p4506.c0.m245

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...=p4506.c0.m245
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

similar problem

Dan I have a similar problem with my 1969 T. It look like the same pump with same problem of the high mount, loops and pre-filter.

It was previously hanging down near the valve cover and I was attempting to move it away from the heat. The PO placed a bag of ice on it when it vapor locked.

I currently show a steady 3.5 lbs of fuel pressure, but the car won't properly idle and the see-thru filter never fills completely with fuel - stays at ~60% fuel / 40% air.I'm currently planning on a "Pierburg" pump, but am trying to understand if it's just another pump that has difficulty pulling the fuel.

Ideally, the pump would be mounted low, up by the tank, but I want to maintain stock configuration.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bill
    1969 911T - sold
    2001 911 Turbo - sold
    1996 911 C4S - returned
    1982 911SC - gone
    1960 356 Roadster - sold

fuel pump for Webers

After searching I found a good one and will return to it.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hlight=cohline
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I am noting many of posts about MFI pumps. I am thinking higher presure for fuel injecton with some kind of regulator, right? I am coming from a fuel injected VW background, though electronic, not mechanical. These also have a return line to the gas tank.

SO, for an old 69 with webers, do these pumps even apply? I certainly have a Vanagon pump around. Does it matter what pump for carbs, as long as it is regulated to the correct preasure? It does sound like a return line would be necessary with a set up like that.

And another thing, these pumps should be used with a relay that shuts it off if the engine stops, right? Safety? I am not even sure my current setup does that...

I tend to ramble, maybe nonsense, I hope I am not bugging anyone. Let me know if something I say sounds way off, I can take it.

One more thought. Has anyone found suitable pumps, regulators, etc. at Summt Racing? I know we aren't talking supercharged V8's here, but they are down the street practically.

Thanks
    Dan
    69 911 T #100176 Sportomatic
    Vanagons, 97 Jetta VR6, Misc junk...

Dan,

I have a 912E ,which when it was changed from MFI to Webers, the fuel pump was not changed.
    The fuel pressure regulator was a "U" bolt on the fuel input line. Not the way to do it, however.

I have since installed a proper fuel pump with the correct lower pressure for the carbs.
    Dale Thero S Registry # 200

If memory serves it is Ollies that is rebuilding mfi fuel pumps as well and had a few on hand. The mfi style pumps put out 11 to 12 psi and with carbs you'll want 4 psi. It looks like you have a 69T which didn't come with mfi so to change over may be costly anyhow. I ran one of the puralator "thumper" pumps on my 73S with carbs for years with no trouble. It was mounted lower where the mfi pump was. I would also check your voltage at the pump, years on old wires and connectors in Ohio can take their toll. I grew up in Canton so that's what I'm basing it on.
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739