Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoration costs vs Cash flow

Restoration costs vs Cash flow

Original post......
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-09-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Talking

i have to say i also have often wondered how the price per hour is sometimes justified?l i agree there is some truly restoration artists out there which if you have a truly rare car you would happily pay , but in this era 80% Porsche panels are available for replacement so coach built product is not needed.
    In new Zealand shops are charging around $90-$115 an hour , to put that in perspective ;approx NZ rates
    accountant $55 hour
    architect $70 hour
    it $75 hour
    legal $85 hour

i was lucky enough to find a guy who is truly fantastic at what he does and works from home for $35 hour cash....
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

Talking

'i get paid 17 dollars for an eye exam by some insurances and am still able to make a living..'

wow that must have been alot of exams to get your collection
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

Restoration Planner

Here is a Restoration Planner done by Willhoit Auto Restoration for 356 Porsches. It would maybe give you a sense of the process, though not specific to 911s.

http://www.willhoitautorestoration.c...on_Planner.pdf
    Cheers,

Vince

Early 911S Registry #1585

1997 Carrera 2 Cabriolet, Arena Red
    "'Safe?' said Mr. Beaver...'Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. but he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'"

Quote Originally Posted by advtracing View Post
    In new Zealand shops are charging around $90-$115 an hour , to put that in perspective ;approx NZ rates
    accountant $55 hour
    architect $70 hour
    it $75 hour
    legal $85 hour
    In the US shop rates are about the same in most places, but sometimes you can get a better rate restoration work (paint and body), like $50-$75hr.

Legal $300+hr
    Accountant $75+hr
    IT $150+hr

not sure about the others

[QUOTE=varunan123;218447Also,was billed for the jig for the rotisserie-which i paid for and never a discussion as to who gets to keep it.

[/QUOTE]

That sucks. If I have to buy a special tool I will usually try to split the cost with the customer, but I don' charge them to use it.

What I hate is to watch a mechanic punch a time card then go on break. I also hate to pay them to wait at the parts counter. If I'm paying them $100 per/hr I expect to see them working smartly.

restoration vs. medicine

Medicine is an "inexact science", auto restoration is not. If the doctor doesnt help you you still have to pay. I think restorers and mechanics are held to a higher standard than physicians. I gotta raise my hourly

Well,

A great deal of people who are in sales are on commission only, like my wife. So, she only gets paid if she closes the deal.

Same standard should apply to doctors.... you don't get better, you don't have to pay!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Well,

A great deal of people who are in sales are on commission only, like my wife. So, she only gets paid if she closes the deal.

Same standard should apply to doctors.... you don't get better, you don't have to pay!

Eric

That being said: maybe people should only paid based on the actual "work" being produced. Maybe have something like a pedometer attached to a person that measures actual "work", and everybody gets paid the same rate. So the more work you body produces, the more you get paid. That way nobody would want to be a lawyer; everybody would want to be a ditch digger.

ouch !

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Well,

Eric
    ...and what "if" you die ??
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L