Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted on door pockets

Opinions wanted on door pockets

I have my original door pockets that have been in storage for over 20 years. Anyway, Im trying to decide what to do. The rear opening pockets are in really good condition and the cardboard structures are all nice and straight. The vinyl also looks really nice with just some slight scuffing. The alum trim is great except at the back where it is a little wavy. The inside flocking is awesome. The front fixed pockets look goos except there is scuffing from feet hitting hit. The top part with the aluminum trim looks great with the exception of a small crack on the top of the drivers side.

My dilemma is that although they would be really good for a driver....actually really really good for a driver, they arent perfect. Since im doing this car from the ground up and will have it forever I want to start out with them perfect. I know that there are a few options.
    #1, Sell Mine and Buy reproductions. How much are mine worth if I sell them? Repros are $800 for the rear and $500 for the front.
    #2, Have Tony refinish mine.
    #3, Find a better original set.
    My concerns:
    Option #1: Are the repros good enough quality or will the old school guys look down on them?
    Option #2:If I am going to have Tony restore them should I sell these and buy ones that are worse? I really hate to have these restored when they are probably already better and many out there. Will it cost more to restore them than a new pair?
    Option #3: Doubt I can find a better original set.

Please let me know what you guys think. The car is going to have a pair of original sport seats (Tony is restoring them this fall) with a carpet kit from Tony. The rest of the interior is perfect including an original dash without any cracks or blemishes. I really appreciate your opinions! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    1997 993 C4S, Not totally stock
    2015 GTI
    1991 E30 M3
    1970 911T, Lilly. Slate Gray 3.2ss PMO etc Sold!
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ect-lilly.html

Early S Register Member #1386

A few more pictures. Plus I did see that one of the fixed pickets has a small tear in the corner.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    2015 GTI
    1991 E30 M3

member #1515
    Option 1. Have Tony redo them
    Option 2. Send these old things to me and buy a new or reproduction set
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

What is a fair price if I sell these?
    2015 GTI
    1991 E30 M3

member #1515
    In the shape yours are in they are pretty much unobtainable. I ended up going with the newer style. Even these cost me around 400 a side by the time I got good quality plastic (not fibreglass) pockets and had everything recovered. I've seen Tony's work on these and they will be perfect. Better than anything you will find, and yours are in good shape. I know they are original but mine never closed properly and since I have a Targa they warped quickly. The bungee cords snapped also. Still if you want to keep it original talk to Tony.
    David

I just put them on Pelican to sell then saw your post about your replicas not closing correctly. I am going to talk to Tony before I do anything.
    2015 GTI
    1991 E30 M3

David, Are you saying your reproductions didnt close properly or the originals? How is the quality of the reproductions?
    2015 GTI
    1991 E30 M3

member #1515
    My original 73 door pockets warped and never closed correctly. I updated to the newer pocket style in 85. These also warped, but after many years. Just last year I bought a set of the new style (after 74) reproduction pockets made in plastic (not fibreglass) and am very happy with them.
    I never had a set of reproduction 73 pockets, but if they are still made in cardboard or fibreboard they will eventually distort.
    My mistake, back in 85 , was throwing away all my old 73 pockets, handles and hardware, but who knew?
    If you want to stay original Tony should be able to restore your pockets, i've seen his work on these items and he does a really good job.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    David

These are available new from Prosche again - both front and rear door pockets. I bought a set and they look great. If I recall, they were around $400 per pocket.

Tony does fantastic work on the vinyl portion of the pockets, but he re-uses the metal bits, and they just don't look perfect because of that (he did a set for me which I sold after I found out that Porsche was making these again).

Thanks for the info. New is probably the best way to go. I may try to do these myself first and if they arent good enough I will buy new. Thanks! Mark
    PS, How much could I sell these for as is?
    2015 GTI
    1991 E30 M3