Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quiz- why did Porsche lose the 68 WCM?

Question Quiz- why did Porsche lose the 68 WCM?

Can any of the experts out there tell me why Porsche lost the 68 World Championship of Makes? I was told why by someone who was an insider and was there. I have never read the reason I was given making it appear to be one of Porsche's best kept secrets. Anybody care to guess?

Because Ford had a perfect score of 45 points to Porsche's 42 points? Only the top five finishes counted. Round 9 at Zeltweg which Porsche won was awarded only half points due to "shortened distance", thus had it been awarded full points Porsche would have tied. Porsche would then have won based on all the second place finishes of which Ford had none.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Because their cars weren't fast enough to beat a six year old chassis powered by a cast iron push rod motor that cost $279?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

No matter how it shook out, the GT40s were faster. They just didn't have reliability that the Porsches had.

I always thought the weird part of the Ford/Porsche deal was that the Ford had the heavier car and the better breaks.......go figure.....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

reason

I was told that at Watkins Glen and possibly other races Mr. Piech insisted on using a new type of [Moly?] wheel bearing grease that the computer said would make the car faster. The wheel bearings kept burning up during practice but he insisted it be used during the race. The Porsches DNF'd and lost the Championship. I havent checked but I assume Ford and Porsche were close on points through much of the season. By the way I sold a 356 to a guy who had a GT-40 that was called the "back door car". It was new in the shop when Porsche came and hired John Wyer to develop and race the 917. Someone from Porsche said get rid of that car and it went out the back door and was never raced by Wyer. Then again, John Wyer was certainly an advantage to whatever team he ran.

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    P.S the 908LH was fastest in qualifying than the GT40's dispelling any myths that the GT40's were the fastest for Le mans.
    Actually you are correct. It was 1967 that the GT40s were quicker and qualified on the pole. In 1968 the GT40s were limited by the new engine displacement rules and the engine was down sized.

Quote Originally Posted by Flunder View Post
    Because their cars weren't fast enough to beat a six year old chassis powered by a cast iron push rod motor that cost $279?
    Correct and its still a nice sight...!
    This GT40 originally participated/raced at 24h du Mans, ex-privateer entry.

BTW: street-legal car and we drove it recently on swiss roads.
    (on race tires: that was slightly illegal..)

Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Or you referring to the 24hr le mans being moved to sept and porsche working on the 917 and not developing the 908(alternator) and misinerpretation of the rules and loss at Le mans that sealed the coffin

Raj
    1968 Le Mans alternator failures were allegedly caused by crankshaft vibrations due to the firing-order specified. Changing the firing-order fixed the vibrations which put less stress on the alternators and other engine components in future versions (1969-1972). Or so I am told.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    I always thought the weird part of the Ford/Porsche deal was that the Ford had the heavier car and the better breaks.......go figure.....
    That is a result of that slippery, low drag bodywork that Piech was so fond of.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425