Thread: Wiper Motor Trouble Shooting Please for '69.

Wiper Motor Trouble Shooting Please for '69.

When I first bought my car late in '06, it did not have wipers on it and the mechanism was totally frozen. I have since restored it to working condition and it works great except for one minor thing. When you turn off the wipers, they stop on the windshield in front of the driver - about 75% of the way back through the stop cycle.

The way I believe this works is that once you put the wiper stalk into the stop/off position, it energizes another portion of the circuit (a relay?) that continues cycling the motor until the wipers are in the proper park position. Is there anyone the really understands intimately how this circuit and the motor work and can help me diagnose the issue? Thanks.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

So, no one with wiper motor experience? Sure could use the help.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

My '68 does the same thing. After a while, you get good at timing it so they stop out of your vision. Fortunately, I don't drive in the rain unless I get caught out in the weather by accident!

In my '68, and your '69, I am told that there is nothing to do but replace the motor. I have talked to Parts Heaven about it (since new ones are NLA) and it's only $65 for a used and tested motor. Perhaps someone has actually fixed one internally, but for this amount of money it seems like a quick fix.

Good luck, hope this was helpful.
    1968 Porsche 911 #11830133 (2009- 2012)
    1968 Porsche 911T #11820522 (1997-2007)
    Registry Member #1536
    Hagerty Insurance Guy

Missing my Porsche. Need to find another SWB project!

Current cars:
    1918 Willys-Overland Model 90BT
    1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a
    1977 Chevrolet Suburban C20 "Trailering Special"
    1983 Ferrari 308 GTS Quattrovalvole
    1992 RHD Toyota Century

You should a wire that is hot all the time going to the motor. there is an internal park switch that will break the circut when the motor reaches the break point in this switch. So when you have power, the park switch is not needed, and the wopers turn. When you cut power off at the stalk, hte park switch will return the motr to its state.

The constant power lead is easy to find. If you pull the clock, or the right most gauge, you will see your wiper motot and the wires going into a white plastic connector. Mounteed to the dash, there will be a round cylinder with red wires comming out of it. This is your hot wire.

If you look at the white plug, you will see wires at 3, 6, 9, 12 and one in the center.

the top two wires, 12 nad center are your wires from the stalk, and they provide power to the motor. one is low and one is high speed. the wire at 3 is the hot wire for the park motor. I can not remember with out looking about where the ground goes. So I don't know about the 6 and 6 wires.

Your motor is parking, but not in the right place. I don't think you have an eletrical issue. I think your internal rack and motor are out of synch. You may want to see if you can adjust the mechanism so the motro parks at the lowest point of the throw. Right now it seems like it is parking in a differnt spot.

Lets see what others have to say... Good luck, it took me several months to figure out my wipers. I also put in an itermittent switch from JC whitney, best 30 buks I ever spent.....
    -----

71 911E RS Clone (Analog)
    88 928 S4 (V8 Trans Axle)
    99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

Thanks guys. If $65 is a replacement motor cost, then that may be the best solution. That said, I am going to attempt to fix it. I agree that it seems to be mechanical versus 100% electrical. I am confident that my mechanism is assembled and adjusted correctly as the wipers go through the proper cycle in normal operation. It is just the stop circuit that is screwed up. I do have it wired correctly as I spent a ton of time figuring that out. And there is the hot lead going to that stop circuit - it just stops in the wrong place.

Ha, Easy or Parts Heaven may be the best solution.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Scott, did you ever resolve this?

I have what think is a later wiper installed into my 69, so I have 4 wires for a 5 pin wiper motor. I can get all three speeds OR auto parking - but not both without blowing a fuse!?
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Well I solved my problem and thought I'd write it down for the next person

So you have the early (four wire + earth) wiring... you've got Black/Violet, Black/Yellow, Blue, Red, and Brown (with brown of course being earth)

You've replaced your old/failed wiper motor with a later one that has five wires in a white plastic square terminal numbered 53 53a 53b 53c and 53i and an earth pin.

You need to make four wires go into five terminals correctly. Go and get yourself a 5 pin change-over relay (sometimes called a 'flip-flop' relay). These are numbered, 85 86 87 87a and 30; importantly 87 is normally open and 87a is closed and the following wiring order lets the wipers self park without causing a switched ground and shorting the fuse. You'll also need some female double spade ends and wire. The wiring sequence is:

Brown to earth, Black/Yellow to 53, Black/Violet to 53i, and Blue to 53b, Red to 53a. Then you take the relay and earth 85, run a wire from 86 to the empty 53c terminal. Jump a wire off 53b (Blue) to 87 and jump a wire off 53a (Red) to 30 on the relay. Terminal 87a is not used.

What you'll get is working 3-speed wipers with self parking. You'll hear the relay trip every wipe which is preventing a short each time the wipers pass the motor's internal park terminals (which would otherwise short out the motor).

I hope this saves the next person from spending 3 weekends trying to sort the problem!!!
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Wiring may not be the problem. I had the same issues and got good at timing as well. I finally crawled up to watch the whole wiper monkey motion assembley at work while someone was working the system from inside the car. I found an incredible amount of slop and movement in the linkages after power was off. Vertically for lack of a better description. I could move it up and down a lot! So the power would stop at the right position but the wipers would keep on moving across the windshield as though the power was on. Removed it an tightened things up a bit and it got a lot better but the whole thing still racks on shut off. Too much wear and slop.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club