Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Brake Lights

No Brake Lights

I have checked the switch attached to the Master cyl, I have replaced and cleaned the fuse and even cleaned and re routed the wires going into fuse block. I have replaced both light bulbs and cleaned the connections. I have checked grounds. Completely stumped, yesterday brake lights today...,nothing.
    Every other light works including back up lights and signals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. it's a 1966 #302982

Cheers
    Peter

Both lights are gone? Did they disappear together? If yes, that sounds like a bad fuse or a faulty switch or connection to the switch.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

I had the same thing a month ago. Turned out to be the switch at the brake pedal. Broke open the old switch and found corrosion inside. Did not see that mentioned in the list of things you checked.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Yes both lights at same time. Today I removed the switch at the master cyl See Lkregs photo. I cleaned it and attempted to get it to function and it seems fine.
    I realized it was a pressure switch, so I topped up the brake fluid and tested it to see if it would trigger the switch.

Now I have a blown caliper at the front drivers side. At least it did not happen at highway speeds.
    I will take a photo.
    Oh Joy, Oh bliss!
    Cheers
    Peter
    PS I still in my gut think it is a electrical short in a wire or hidden fuse issue but this damage might just prove me wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

easy enough to test the switch by making a jumper to connect the wires together.

My 69 911S has a pedal switch that was really finiky until I removed it, cleaned it with Wurth contact cleaner, and has been flawless ever since.

Have a pressure switch on the sonett that is sticky every spring, but works itself loose pretty quickly.

Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

I have been searching for calipers and seems pelican and Stoddard's have them but the price for solid rotor M calipers is nearly $700.00 US each. Is it possible these calipers are interchangeable with a VW part as the one I took off my car seems to have a VW symbol on it. They are the basic calipers non "s" as my car is pre S. I also wonder if there is a kit or improvement set of front Calipers and rotors available for the early SWB 911.

Any leads would be very appreciated

Cheers
    Peter

M Calipers are available used here and on Pelican all the time. just sold a nice set myself for $100. No one I know would buy anything like this new; the M caliper should last for 1000 years with an occasional $15 rebuild kit.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

If I wished to replace calipers and rotors with vented rotors would the hub be the same for the 66 solid rotor that I have on the car presently?
    I have also noticed that these comon "m" calipers are the same as VW and a few other Automobile marks. VW calipers price at between $55 and $240 brand new. Also the brake light switch for the 66 911 at stoddards is $86.00 and the exact same switch from a 1966 VW beetle is $9.00

Cheers
    Peter

Guys... aren't we talking about the switch on the pedal assembly? That switch on the MC is just for the warning light.

Pull the carpet back, pull the board off and check that the switch is aligned properly on the MC plunger that is attached to the brake pedal.

I can help with the calipers if need be:

http://www.pmbperformance.com/page/page/4741552.htm
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Neunelfer View Post
    Guys... aren't we talking about the switch on the pedal assembly? That switch on the MC is just for the warning light.

Pull the carpet back, pull the board off and check that the switch is aligned properly on the MC plunger that is attached to the brake pedal.

I can help with the calipers if need be:

http://www.pmbperformance.com/page/page/4741552.htm
    The brake light switch on a '66 is screwed through a banjo bolt into the side of the master cylinder. It is accessed from under the car by removing the protection plate.

I dont think there is another switch for rear brake lights on the 66.
    Do you know about the standard solid rotors from 1966 and if its possible to swap out for vented rotors and different calipers without changing the hubs?