Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scheel Seats Info and Review

Scheel Seats Info and Review

Forgive me gentlemen. I am well aware of the sticky SHOW YOUR SEATS thread but due to frequent inquires I am posting info/feedback to direct interested parties.

OVERVIEW:

I bought a set of Scheel 300s in March of 2007 from Gerrit of NML-Depot. This included everything - seats, headrests, seat rails and tilting brackets. http://nml-depot.de/nmldepot006.htm

FAQs:

What is the approx. weight? I don't know. How's that for my first answer? I'm a jerk.

Are they steel frame or GRP shells? I don't know what the acronym "GRP" stands for. However, they are fiberglass shells.

Are they new or refurbished old originals? I was under the impression, when purchased, that they were new but have since heard it's a mix of new and refurbished old originals. I am more inclined to believe they are entirely repros done very well including the Scheel button/emblem.

Are they comfortable or too small? I am small so therefore they are comfortable.

Are your seats comfortable for long haul trips (+3 hrs)? Yes. Generally my "long hauls" are from NorCal to Cambria or Ventura. Nothing compared to the MidWest boys. Although due to the thin bottom cushion it helps to remove my one inch thick wad of "Washingtons". The bolsters are snug and high. Not much lateral movement if any. Cord insterts keep you cool in summer and warm in winter.

Were your dealings with NML satisfactory? Gerrit was fantastic to deal with. I put the screws on him for a quick across the pond delivery in time for an R Gruppe Treffen and his word was good.

How have they held up? 2.5 years later they still look great. If I want to nit-pick, I may go back and address the bottom corners of the buckets where some of the vinyl has curled up. This may be due to heat or not enough contact cement. Whatever the case - a 10 minute/twenty five cent fix.

Do you find the tilting brackets useful? NML is a one stop shop for straight bolt in install. No reason to mix/match or futz with other brackets. I did retrace a couple female threads due to powdercoating.

Besides the Scheel corduroy, are they leather or vinyl? Vinyl.

What did they cost when you purchased? $2172 for everything - seats, headrests, rails, tilting brackets and shipping. Note date purchased and exchange rate at the time.

FEEDBACK AND PERSONAL:

I ended up choosing these seats after Bob Aines sent me some pics of a very beautiful '68 TR with Scheels.

At the time and unknown if still true today due to more vendors having since entered the seat market, these represented a "period correct" SWB option at a very affordable price. There are many personal reasons why I didn't choose the others such as shape of headrests, loop style seat adjustment bar, corduroy direction, bolster shape, lack of headrest option, etc. Vintage Seats offered the most appropriate seat option at the time, the 4 elephant legged bucket style Recaro, but the price would have been almost double. I did swap out the headrests for stock D shaped Recaro versions. The Scheel headrests are hideous and uncomfortable – IMO. You guys have to remember that I was not interested in installing anything other than a period correct option for the SWB which limited my choices.

I know others like Dave Conklin and Duane Hartley have installed these seats. As far as I know they are satisfied.

I hope this helps. For others who have ordered from NML, please chime in.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Thumbs up Fantastic

Bob, thanks for this extremely helpful post. I've always loved the look of these seats and they look great in your car.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Bob,
    Those are extermely nice! I am drawn to the fixed back seat, aesthetically....I mean, my god man!!! look at those seats, but I have always been concerned regarding the long drive, comfort factor, etc. It sounds like that is not an issue with this design. How do these compare, in your mind, with the other fine offerings out there.

Feel free to PM me with your opinion and experience, so we don't start an episode of SEAT WARS!!!
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

Scheel Schalensitze / NML Depot

I think the B&B Motors catalog listed this model Scheel as being "Original equipment in the new 2.5 liter Porsche 911 race car."

Yup, the MY 1972 911S Group 4 car.

I think it is the best fixed back bucket seat of the era.

Bob, can you show a pic of the tilting brackets, please?

And, while you are at it, how about a shot of the 9210 tool pockets?

Thanks
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Model 300 Scheel, $139.00 + shipping. Those were the days.
    Harold
    All gone:
    '73S coupe
    '73E targa (RGruppe)
    '73T targa
    '72E targa

'79 930/DP935
    '68 VW Crewcab 3.3 930 turbo bus
    '86 VW Doka
    DP935 Registry

Harold,

Yes, that is the B&B ad I used to stare at when I should have been preparing for class.

I saw Edsel Ford at Limerock in 1970. He had a very good looking girlfriend and a Scheel 300 Racing/400 Rallye combo in his German market mfi Capri RS (on Michigan manufacturer plates).

Great seat.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Nice idea Bob. Here goes ...
    OVERVIEW:

I ordered a set of Scheel 300s in April of 2007 from Gerrit of NML-Depot. This included everything - seats, headrests only. He was out of sliders I think at the time, and I said, lets just go ahead and order the seats.
    http://nml-depot.de/nmldepot006.htm

FAQs:
    Not sure. All I know is that the 300's were light enough to ship 2 in one box and be under the DHL weight limit for one box. (so don't feel bad Bob ... you are not alone)

Are they steel frame or GRP shells? I don't know what the acronym "GRP" stands for. However, they are fiberglass shells.

Are they new or refurbished old originals? I was under the impression, when purchased, that they were restorations, but now I am thinking that they are repro's. Perhaps a mix of resto/new parts.

Are they comfortable or too small? I am about 6ft and about 200lbs, and they are very comfortable.

Are your seats comfortable for long haul trips (+3 hrs)? Yes. I drove about 2800 miles NYC-Daytona for RSIII, I did X-country to treffen that was another 3800 and then another 4800 for the return trip in May. The biggest compliment came from my wife who said that I should patent these seats. I broke the news that someone else already had. For her, and for me, they were the most comfortable seats we have had.

Were your dealings with NML satisfactory? Gerrit is a great guy, was always available to talk (about 19h00 German time, or 13h00 EST was best time).

How have they held up? 2.5 years later they still look great. I think I might have torn a thread or so in the cord material, but still are as comfortable as ever.

Do you find the tilting brackets useful? I did not get them.

Besides the Scheel corduroy, are they leather or vinyl? Vinyl.

What did they cost when you purchased? At the time, I paid 420 euro per seat, plus 65 euro for head rest, which is 970, plus 69 euro shipping plus 4% paypal cost = 1081 Euro. As Bob stated, please note date purchased and exchange rate at the time. My 1081 Euro was $1500.54. That was for 2 seats and 2 headrests shipped to my door.

FEEDBACK AND PERSONAL:

I saw some chatter about them on the boards. I think I saw a pic of Dave Conklin's and then someone else's, and price was right, I liked the look, so off I plunged. When they arrived, I thought to myself " my ass will never fit into that tiny seat" but they did, and comfortably. I love them. I also find the head rest comfortable, and have no issues with it. I know the price has increased a little since then, and the exchange rate will always be a factor, but I highly recommend them, as well as the vendor, Gerrit.

I hope this helps. For others who have ordered from NML, please chime in.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

'grp'

Quote Originally Posted by bob tilton View Post
    . . . Are they steel frame or GRP shells? I don't know what the acronym "GRP" stands for . . .
    'GRP' means 'glass-re-enforced plastic' . . . basically fiberglass-infused polyester.

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Flunder View Post
    Yup, the MY 1972 911S Group 4 car.
    Flunder - I would like to open this up for discussion. Is it your opinion that the Scheel 300s were not made until '72?

Harold - any date code on that piece of lit?

I've seen TRs with various model seats. Bantam's African TR has the turn dial style Scheel and a Recaro bucket. That car appears for the most part very original and unmolested. The Morespeed TR has a Scheel 300 driver seat. A little off topic but I was recently surprised about the Hamilton TR with houndstooth inserts.

Al - there are so many more options now than before and honestly I am starting to get them confused. Plus there are vendors who are partnering up the manufacturers and either selling them as their own or with the manufacturer's name. A few years ago Vintage Seats had the best stuff.

Karl - many thanks for the comfort feedback from a "bigger boned" gentlemen. I am neither bigger boned or a gentlemen.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Scheels & Houndstooth in "Out of Africa" T/R

Bob

Not sure if this helps or makes things more complicated but here goes:

Scheel Seat - I have had a few conversations with Gerrit recently (yes great to talk to and plan to send seat to him for refurb) and sent photos of my seat from the T/R. From the photos Gerrit thinks it is a Scheel 101 or 101s which he says were not available until late 70's, this stacks up because the seat was on Recaro runners; although it was not uncommon to find Scheels on Recaro runners etc I think this allied to Gerrits view on the seat points to it being a later addition to the car having perhaps replaced an original Recaro at some stage. In line with the arches etc I plan to have the seat refurbished and retain in the car given that like the later "thick grip" 380mm steering wheel it is part of the car's history (I am taking the approach that it is better wherever possible to use parts original to the car, even if they are period modifications, than try to second guess an original spec and then add new parts). For reference Gerrit said that it was rare to find a Scheel with the adjustment knob on the right of the seat as you sit in it, however, given that it is a right hand drive car this would be correct for its application as the drivers seat.

Houndstooth - The passenger seat in the T/R is a Recaro Sports seat and has vinyl bolsters with houndstooth centres, as sure as you ever can be I think this is the original seat with its original finish.

Like all my previous posts on the car the above is only what I have discovered to date, happy to be corrected/educated further by those with more knowledge!

Tim