Thread: Excellence Magazine Market Update

Excellence Magazine Market Update

Yes, we all love Excellence magazine. When it comes in, I cannot wait eat dinner and sit down and read it from cover to cover. A huge passion is present as I do this a few times before I am done (for that time) with that issue.

The market update section has always deeply confused me. We all know Bruce Anderson to be an aficianado so that is not where the confusion comes from. It stems from the pricing which seems to have no relativity to the market. And, I mean no relativity whatsoever.

The May 2009 issue offers what I believe is the most recent 911 pricing update. An excellent level 1970 S is priced at $28,350, and a 1973 S is priced at $31,075. My 70 S is pretty much perfect and I know I should see way more than that for it. That is if I were selling it. If sales represent current pricing on the different models and at different quality levels, why is the pricing so off?

So, whats the deal?
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

People have pointed out for years that the Market Update does not reflect right-now prices. Usually they are behind because BA has mentioned that he uses averages of sales figures to determine his prices. Well, averages mean time that has passed along with time getting to the press (a month long process in itself).

However, by now the market should be coming down to meet his delayed info. As always, stellar and/or rare cars do not fit the norm. If yours is "pretty much perfect," you would obvioulsy not sell at an "average" no matter which classification.

You might be surprised at what real selling prices are nowadays for "normal" cars. Over on Pelican they are laughing at a guy that has a fresh 915 tranny with short gears and a 7:31 R& P. He was asking $3500. Well, you couldn't duplicate that for 3500 easily, but that's not the point. No one has 3500 right now. At least not the masses.

Your car and his tranny will have to wait for the day that sees the one out of a scarce few that will part with money for priced at the top goods, no matter how nice.

I had a 993 and I was always on Rennlist. Every year when his values would come out it was a joke. It was always the topic that you could buy a 993 C4S for $25k etc. I know that he knows what he is talking about as far as Porsche but not sure where he gets his pricing. That said, NADA is also way off for 993's and probably others. You cant let it get under your skin. If someone wants to buy an early longhood or a 993, all they need to do start shopping and they will find out what the real prices are.
    1997 993 C4S, Not totally stock
    2015 GTI
    1991 E30 M3
    1970 911T, Lilly. Slate Gray 3.2ss PMO etc Sold!
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ect-lilly.html

Early S Register Member #1386