Thread: Suspension Refurb - Need Shock/Strut Recommendations Please

Suspension Refurb - Need Shock/Strut Recommendations Please

I am going to be doing a suspension refurb on my 71T and need some shock recommendations. My front struts were replaced with new Boge units in 1996 and have about 15,000 miles on them +/-. Would you think that they are still useable units solely based on the time and mileage given? The rears were replaced who knows when, so I think it is time for those for sure.

My goal is to stay factory stock with rubber bushings in the front and Neatrix for the rear spring plates. Also, will replace the trailing arm bushings with rubber as well. Right now I am running 205/60 tires and am considering going back to 185/70 some time in the future maybe. Not yet, but sometime. Car is lowered to Euro spec (maybe even a little lower actually) with stock T-bars. I don't need a hard riding track car (already have a hotrod for that), just a nice firm Porsche ride like it came from the factory.

I would love to hear some suggestions and real world experiences please. Thanks.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

I've been tampering with my suspension set-up since the day Ruprecht emerged from the shop and have finally wound up with what I consider the definitive & perfect street set-up that's comfortable, ( which is always a highly subjective thing) handles superbly, & is quiet ( again ,a subjective term which depends to a large degree on the quality of the build and the selection of components used)

Here's my recommendation:

FRONT: for weight reduction change to an alum. cross member in the front.

Since you have Boge struts new ( green) Bilstein inserts will fit perfectly.....strongly recommended. These will be a big improvement over the Boge units in place now.

Steering rack spacers.....the red anodized alum. units from Performance. Sounds like your car is pretty low, maybe too low.

Turbo tie-rods....very important, for much improved steering feel and feedback.

I sure wouldn't go larger than 185 wide tires in the front. Bigger than that really deadens the feel of the steering.

After several different combinations I wound up with new OEM Turbo T-bars in the front ( 19.8 mm dia.) with new OEM rubber bushings. That combination is probably the biggest single thing you can do to retsore that " nice firm Porsche ride just like it came from the factory ".

REAR:

I guess the issue of alum. rear trailing arms has been exhaustively discussed on another thread, my 2 cents is that I would do this if I owned a car with steel arms.

Bilstein ( green again) shocks

Save yourself some work and frustration and go with OEM rubber bushings in the rear, and forego the Neatrix, which require fitting, sag, and really offer no improvement. With the factory rubber bushings available, I really wouldn't change from that. You'll get the best ride, handling and longevity combination of all the options that are available presently with the factory rubber.

As I stated above, after several different combinations I chose new Sanders hollow 26 mm T-bars from Elephant Racing ( he has them cad plated and plugged to prevent internal corrosion, which no one else offers).

205s in the rear are a good choice. I personally prefer a 60 aspect ratio for the rear because shorter sidewalls than that tend to get a little harsh. ( Respectfully, don't let looks over-ride function by adopting too low a ride heigth. Street cars need suspension movement ).

It's probably way too late in the game for me to say....." I don't mean to sound pompous" because every time I say it I sound more pompous & know-it-all than I normally do, but if you haven't installed properly designed after-market anti-roll bars in your early 911 you just can't believe the beneficial effect on ride quality and handling they will have, even if your car presently has stock, factory installed rubber-bushed ARBs. You will be astonished at the difference this addition / change makes, especially if you combine the ARBs with new rubber bushings F&R, new Bilsteins, the right T-bars and the right tires. If you really want to restore (and improve) the nice tight feel of a new Porsche then that'll do it. My preference for Smart Racing ARbars is well known, simply because they are the best.....by far. They make 4 sizes, but for a street machine I would reommend their smallest, at 20 mm dia, or the 23mm hollow front & rear. Make absolutely sure you install WEVO's investment cast anti-roll bar mounts.

There, you're done. You'll have the best street set-up possible, retain the liveliness of the factory cars when they were new, while having improved the handling significantly and you will truly enjoy your "new" 71T.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

I agree: green Bilstiens sound like a good choice for you.

I don't need a hard riding track car (already have a hotrod for that), just a nice firm Porsche ride like it came from the factory.
    Those are great struts as you can put whatever inserts you want in them. Based upon the mileage, the inserts should be fine. If you're looking for a factory ride, you probably have it. Boge's are "severly" under-rated by the online crowd. We just set up a 914-6/GT look car with new Boge Sport inserts and shocks all the way around because the owner had the exact same driving requests/desires as you do. I tend to look at what you ask for vs. push/peddle what I have in my car etc.

Get a shock upgrade if you feel the need. Bilstein or Koni's are both excellent shocks. If you do get Koni's I would set each one at "Full Soft" for the ride you're asking for. That's the nice thing about the Konis', they come with a dial at the top. Bilsteins are excellent as well but they will be a bit stiffer than the Boge... not sure if that's what you're asking for.

I have/had your exact car, (in Illinois to boot) and I "loved" the suspension set-up I had. It was as follows:

Stock bushings
    Koni Inserts all around set full soft
    Stock 15mm Sway Bars
    Stock torsion bars
    205/60's all around
    Turbo Tie Rods

I had the gang at Eurosport do a 4-wheel on it and it was simply a dream to drive. It is now a full blown RS conversion with all of the goodies and it is no where near as comfortable "suspension" wise. I'll admit most of that is probably due to the 50 series tires.

Depending on what your desires are strut wise, you're probably not too far away from where you want to be.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Thanks for the information guys. I really appreciate it.

John, while that setup that you described in excellent detail (thank you) is no doubt awesome, that is not quite what I am looking for in the T. That would be more applicable to my hotrod 911 in many respects. The T is going to stay factory stock for the most part - I may go just a tad firmer with shocks and wanted to get opinions here on what works well for this application. The other car is my canyon carver (even though we don't have those here in the MW) and the T is my sporty cruiser.

So, it looks like I have some choices to make...

1. Keep my Boge strut insert and replace the rear shocks with Boge also (or maybe Bilstein greenies). Might give an unbalance feel doing that though.

2. Replace all with Bilstein greens.

3. Replace all with Konis set full soft.

So what gives a firmer ride - the Bilsteins or Konis (at full soft)? The Konis might be a good choice since I can adjust for a more sporting ride, no? I would really like to stay as close to factory appearance as I can with this particular car. Would it be fair to say that the ride firmness goes up the scale starting at Boge (non-sport), Bilstein (non-sport), and Koni (set soft)?
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Ah, I'm going to miss Whitey's vague handling in the twisties.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

So what gives a firmer ride - the Bilsteins or Konis (at full soft)?
    Bilsteins.

The Konis might be a good choice since I can adjust for a more sporting ride, no?
    I like them for that reason... your call, hard to say. I like Bilsteins too. You will undoubtedly find others who are more opinionated.

I would really like to stay as close to factory appearance as I can with this particular car.
    Nobody can see them...

Would it be fair to say that the ride firmness goes up the scale starting at Boge (non-sport), Bilstein (non-sport), and Koni (set soft)?
    Here's my opinion on that:

Boge
    Koni (full soft)
    Boge (sport)
    Bilstein (non-sport)
    Bilstein (sport)
    Koni (full hard)

I wouldn't mis-match struts BTW. Best to get a matching set for your car.

Good luck with it.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

member #1515
    I've had the Koni adjustables set on full soft for several years now and am very happy. I have new rubber bushings(elephant) all around. Every Bistein I have ever had ended up clunking (noise) within 20,000 miles. Those bushings inside just seem to wear very fast. My car is a Targa so I didn't want to go hard on any suspension. I did go up to 25 rear torsion bars on the rear and they are nice but I should not have gone to 21 on the front. They give a nice crisp turn in but are a bit harsh, although the increased understeer is easily compensated with a heavy throttle foot. (2.7 RS engine).
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs