Thread: positive power from coil

positive power from coil

hello all,i like most have electrick fuel mounted in rear,would it be ok to get the power from the positive side of coil to run pump or would i get some kind of feed back from coil.or maybe not enough power or maybe get hot.this would save me from running another wire up front.as far as wiring goes i am starting from zero.it was an empty tub.thaks for your help.

It would help to know what year of car we're talking about.
    I'm not sure but I can't imagine using the coil + for this purpose is a good idea.
    There's lots of electricity or should be just to the left of the coil on the panel
    holding the voltage regulator, the rear window defroster, etc etc. I'd look there.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

positive coil power

thanks for nothing.normally i have good luck with technical questions and sometimes you just get b.s from someone who wants to sound off....the car is a 1968 912 race car that has no panel no voltage reg.has alt.the only positive power back there that goes off and on with ignition is the coil.the question was, weather it be a 49 buick or 68 912 was can you get power from the coil without any feedback.

Whoa...

rac4buk,

You posted a question with little background information, James was trying to help.......... after the attitude, hopefully someone will still make the attempt...

Chuck Miller - Moderator
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

This will totally depend on the amount of amps drawn and size of wire. If I could not determine this, then I would run an additional wire to the back with it's own circuit protection.

Good luck and don't flame me for posting an answer.
    Aaron Burnham
    Burnham Performance
    1071 Avenida Acaso ste D.
    Camarillo, Ca. 93012
    805-240-6931

safety regs?

I would also check the safety regs to see if this is allowed. It is not a good idea having the fuel pump running whenever the ignition is turned on. In a prang the engine might stop but with ignition still on the pump will try to keep pumping. Not much fun if you are stuck upside down or on fire etc.

Most cars use a seperate feed via a tachometric relay to stop this happening. Don't know about the US but this is mandatory in Australia in race cars in most classes. Every standard car built for a least 20 years will also have a similar safety feature.
    Jeff Eelkema
    69E (project)
    S Reg #1431
    Aust TYP 901 #132