Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie here, thoughts on what to acquire?

Newbie here, thoughts on what to acquire?

Hey everyone. I have been lurking for awhile and finally took the time to register. Great forums here and people seem very helpful.

I am new to the 911 crowd-been committed to the 356 world. That said i do have my eye on a couple cars and thought i would ask if anyone could share their views on the 71T at Caporsche. What are peoples thoughts on the Sportomatic? Value of these T targa's? Looks like a solid solid car. WIth the ess's hit such high numbers are the T's a viable alternative. Should I leave the E's out due to the hydro suspensions? I am seeking factory originals.

http://www.caporsche.net/images/cars...82/images.html

anyways, thanks much for any feedback

Rick,

Sportomatics are a very different beast, not for everyone or even most.

Targas are nice (I own one) but not as sporting as coupes.

E's (which have mechanical fuel injection) have great throttle response and are lots of fun.

Most of the cars which had hydropneumatic struts have been changed. Not that big a deal.

Good luck,
    Ed
    Early 911S Registry #224
    911S Targa 1973
    356B Roadster 1962

My thoughts:

• I wonder about a 40,000 mile car that needed a complete repaint (should've kept it as is for preservation class concours, for instance)
    • The VIN plate appears to be a re-stamp
    • Sportos are a breed to themselves. I like the full manual action (but Peter Gregg liked Sportos!)

It sounds like you are at the very beginning stages of learning about 911's. Unless you just have to have this combo (color/targa/sporto), I would slow down and learn more before jumping into a purchase.

Speaking from experience, I know the trouble I got into years ago when I just HAD to have a '69 El Camino SS396. I bought before I knew what I was getting into and sold at a loss when I finally realized my collection of errors. Be patient...there are plenty of opportunities just around the corner.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by rick@cbx.com View Post
    I am seeking factory originals.
    If you don't have it, might I suggest picking up a copy of Dr. Brett Johnson's 911/912 Restorer's Guide. While it may not be absolutely 100% accurate, it might help you sort things out a bit. Of course, coming from the 356 world, you know how things worked at Porsche as far as bits from one year finding their way on to another year from time to time.

I agree with the statement on Targa's vs. Coupes - I own one of each. I love the Targa as an open car - but as a sports car, I like the coupe much more. Maybe it is the way I have it set up, but I just seem to have an even bigger smile on my face driving the coupe.

I also agree on the VIN plate - I would strongly question that.
    Don
    912 Registry Charter Member #68

Flo - 69 912 Targa - Champagne Yellow
    Jack - 69 912 "R" Coupe - Terrorist Tangerine
    Bill (as in William "Refrigerator" Perry) - 97 E350 Powerstroke - White - (P-car puller deluxe)
    Kermit - 04 John Deere 4310 4WD - is there another color?
    Tony - 60 Buick Invicta 4-door hardtop

absolutely right and much thanks....still learning and have plenty of time ......I have always found it easier to zero in on a few that look interesting as a way of learning....

On the vin plate issue, whats indicating a potential restamp? Certainly notice the engraving is different as well as the finish on the plate but am i missing something else?

thanks again for allowing me to pick your brains

Sportos are really different to drive. My dad had one in an early 911T. When you touch the shifter the trans disengages and it's like putting the car in neutral. I'm usually holding on to the shifter in traffic so I would be a bad ownership candidate!!!!!!
    Test drive them all before you buy.
    Good luck.
    JIm
    Early 911S Registry member#775

Quote Originally Posted by rick@cbx.com View Post
    That said i do have my eye on a couple cars and thought i would ask if anyone could share their views on the 71T at Caporsche.
    I could not find a price. Do you know it?
    This Sportomatic 2.2 T has 40,731 miles. It has been sympathetically refreshed and drives just like a 40,000 mile car should. The contrasting factory color combination of Irish Green exterior and Tan interior looks fantastic. We repainted this car to original quality. Autos International restored the seats and the carpet. The original dash is crack free and the original knurled screws still secure the engine bay relay panel. This car is a rare find for those seeking a Sportomatic, which performs flawlessly and is a pleasure to drive.
    I wonder what else is known about this car?

40k and in need of a full restoration is suspicious. VIN plate obviously restamped. Carpet not correct. Recovered steering wheel. No pictures of the motor or underside is suspicious. Otherwise it looks like a nice car. Sportos are ok, but not very sporty, and god help you if it breaks because not too many people have experience fixing them. You may also have more trouble selling when that day comes.

On any car you buy you really need to look at it closely. Get it on a lift and pull back the carpets, batteries, and lights (if you can). These cars, even well cared for, will rust and some sellers are just putting on fresh undercoat to hide the rust.

T vs. S

The T can be a fun car, but its not an S, and as fr as value goes it never will be. The question is: what is important to you? Would you rather have mint cond. T, or a rough S? Or maybe a RS replica or hotrod? If you want a hotrod or RS replica, then a T would be fine since your going to modify everything anyway and value won't be effected much. I guess the day may come that Ts have real value being so rare since since they are not being saved as much as the S, and many have been made RSs and hodrods.

If your a 356 fan then by all means get a SWB. IMHO 68 / 69 was when Porsche began to focus ever so slightly and have picked up substanial momentum since leaning towards luxury instead of performance.
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

Quote Originally Posted by Wilywilly View Post
    If your a 356 fan then by all means get a SWB. IMHO 68 / 69 was when Porsche began to focus ever so slightly and have picked up substanial momentum since leaning towards luxury instead of performance.
    I think you meant to Porsche began to LOOSE focus...

I agree, but I think it really started in 73.5... I think a 69 (and to a certain extent 68.5) was a refinement of the original idea with improved systems like brakes.

But - if I may commit what some (not all) here will consider blasphemy... since you come from the 356 world, why not consider a 912? A prime mover you are already familiar with and everything else the same as a "normal" 911. There are some very nice examples available out there from time to time.
    Don
    912 Registry Charter Member #68

Flo - 69 912 Targa - Champagne Yellow
    Jack - 69 912 "R" Coupe - Terrorist Tangerine
    Bill (as in William "Refrigerator" Perry) - 97 E350 Powerstroke - White - (P-car puller deluxe)
    Kermit - 04 John Deere 4310 4WD - is there another color?
    Tony - 60 Buick Invicta 4-door hardtop