Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Early Wooden Steering Wheel Aluminum Spokes

FS: Early Wooden Steering Wheel Aluminum Spokes

*** SOLD ***

For Sale Early Wooden Steering Wheel..
    Has the aluminum spokes and weights about 2lbs
    Decent driver quality wheel...nice solid wheel...wood has been refinished before..original black on spokes...
    only one small divot missing on the under side and you don't even see when installed and is not a problem
    Great for a your driver or have it refinished for show...

$900 plus shipping
    Attached Images Attached Images

Email sent, I am interested. Thanks for your email back.!!!

tks,
    Eric

curious what the number on the hub means?
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

I haven't figured out the hub number stampings "yet". I've had plenty of early wheels steel and aluminum spoke, and I've yet to find one that matches the chassis of the original car it came from... if that info was available.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by 911scfanatic View Post
    curious what the number on the hub means?
    I don't know Bill....I thought it might be important to someone/expert on these...I would like to know also...

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    I haven't figured out the hub number stampings "yet". I've had plenty of early wheels steel and aluminum spoke, and I've yet to find one that matches the chassis of the original car it came from... if that info was available.

Eric
    i'm interested in knowing more about the ALU spoke version such as when / where they were used. i have 3 stories;
    1) the first X hundred cars got them until the factory realized that they transmitted too much road "noise" into the drivers hands.
    2) steel was cheaper
    3) they were fitted only to the '67S

any others?
    ...and yes, it seems this question it better suited to the General section where it will posted as well

cheers
    jerry

Jerry...
    I have found the aluminum ones on early 911 and 912....the 911 were 65/66
    I was told they may have been on the 904 also...

I thought I read somewhere that all 904's had Les Leston Wheels. I'd lean to the early 911 / 912 road feel story.

Bill
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

# stamp

I have one that is stamped 1290 I too Am puzzled by the numbering.Might be a production sequence??? Cliff

wood wheel

i'm interested in knowing more about the ALU spoke version such as when / where they were used. i have 3 stories;
    1) the first X hundred cars got them until the factory realized that they transmitted too much road "noise" into the drivers hands.
    2) steel was cheaper
    3) they were fitted only to the '67S

any others?
    ...and yes, it seems this question it better suited to the General section where it will posted as well

cheers
    jerry

Hey Jerry,
    My take, which a factory trained mechanic told me was that the aluminum ones were too weak for drivers getting into and out of the cars. Also hard stops could flex and bend the roundness of the wheels. After too many complaints they switched to the steel ones.

Even the wood steel wheels bend too easy.

If anybody wants to buy a freshly restored one by Jack Arct. I would sell my steel wood wheel one for $680. delivered insured within the USA.

sorry for the pitch but the info above possibly helps out.

Happy Holiday,
    Scooter