Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: where can I buy thru the hood filler caps?...

where can I buy thru the hood filler caps?...

We are thinking of one on a non 911 car....and it never dawned on me if they were avail pre fabbed?....the "lite wt style"....

tia

J

Dave @ TRE has everything. There was a guy in LA on the board who fabbed some nice ones, said he was never going to do any more, did 2 or 3 more, and said never again. Search old threads about it. Some come up for sale, from time to time.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

caps

Karl..Mark told me...Martin Baker...thnx!

If you need Martin's e-mail and a way to contact him please let me know & I'll PM you the information. I've bought several from him....good product and excellent service.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

bughaus.com is where I purchased mine. you have to add the handle though.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

100mm fuel neck & cap

I have a couple of new ones I bought from Martin two years ago which due to a change in plans I now don't think I am going to use. I will take some photos/sort out prices and list them in the "For Sale" section shortly, from memory one cap has a 5 hole handle and the other one has a 4 hole one; I may also have a spare new 5 hole handle.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    If you need Martin's e-mail and a way to contact him please let me know & I'll PM you the information. I've bought several from him....good product and excellent service.

JZG

JZG

Pm sent

Joel,

you have a reply PM

Regards,

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images  

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

GT Werk Purchase

I bought my gas cap and filler neck from GT Werk (www.gtwerk.com). However I did something a bit different for my custom tank. I ordered just the cap and neck without the fin and rain tray respectively.

Lee

Your filler pipe seems very short. It doesn't extend through the hood, does it ?

Wouldn't need a rain tray in that case, but if you plan on a through-the-hood filler set-up with an opening in the hood you really need to seal it with a pretty effective catch-pan to collect and control water, dust, and most importantly against the strong draft blowing into the cabin while driving. Early 911s have no firewall per se and any little opening will let the wind & dust blow into your face & eyes............ask me how I know this.

In any through-the-hood installation I strongly recommend a fin. Then you can open your tank for filling without having to raise the hood. Without a fin you will always have to raise your hood because you can't get your hand around the gas cap to twist it open. If done carefully and accurately there shouldn't be a gap of more than about a 1/4" max between hood and the rim of the cap. When I first built the car I used this nickel-plated cap.....way too shiny.