Thread: Finally, something new

Finally, something new

This should be interesting once it hits the market. Wonder through which outlets McLaren will attempt to market this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8238430.stm

Raises a lot of other questions as well.........with whom is this intended to compete.

Porsche: McLaren considerably more expensive than most 911s
    Audi R-8: McLaren even more hi-tech ( full carbon tub )
    Audi R-8 /10cyl: Yes, I can see that
    Ferrari 458: Probably the most direct competitor, and Ron Dennis
    hates Ferrari and wants nothing more than to bury
    them.....if not on the track, then in the showroom.
    Aston-Martin: They don't really compete in the price range nor do
    they have a model to directly compete with this
    Mercedes-Benz: They really aren't in that slice of the market...and
    the McLaren built SLR is $450,000 + and dead
    Who else is there: God knows the Japanese haven't come up with
    anything worth looking at in true sports cars

This type of sports car (not-quite-a-supercar ( whatever the Hell that means anyway) but a lot more interesting and capable than anything else you can buy now, full Carbon fiber chassis / body, no more third pedal - paddle shift exclusively, single wire harness, KERS, extreme driver / driving experience focus, etc.) probably represents the future of technology and standard offerings in the true / pure sportscar market of the next 10 years.

Sort of reminds me of the introduction of the 911 RS. Light ( from an absolute standpoint and also in lbs/ per HP terms ), fast, simple, not too high-tech but using only the best, most relevant materials and technology the times have to offer, but most importantly, slotted into a price bracket which isn't in the nose-bleed supercar category ( which would condem it to extremely limited production) but yet attainable with a little stretch to the true enthusiast if he really wants it. How I wish I were thirty years younger !

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

McLaren's new...Why are they so ugly?...

...another bunch of Oldsmobile Alero "face-lookalikes"....Tesla, Ferrari-Modena,Lotus Elise...etc,etc...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314