Thread: Oil sump screen upgrade?

Oil sump screen upgrade?

On the Classic and Speed Parts website here, I noticed an oil sump screen upgrade that I had never heard of.

Claims a decrease in oil temperature of 10-12 degrees. Anyone know about this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1968 911 #11830241
    Early S Registry #810
    R Gruppe #461

Looks like a 930 screen not really sure how it would lower temps.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Oil sump screen upgrade?

I think the reasoning at the time this came out was that the venturi type pickup would aid in getting more oil out of the case bottom so the crank wasn't frothing through the oil and creating more heat. I think this was a stop gap measure for the SC's which by that time had a reduced scavenge pump area in order to increase the pressure side (pump length has to remain the same, only so much room there) I think the final 'fix' was the well known mod to dump by-pass oil into the pump inlet rather than the case bottom so as not to over load the reduced size scavenge pump.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Regis turd ab user
    Pelican has it listed as a 930 screen, sounds a bit like the "cool collar" hype for temp reduction.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...2D%37%37%29%20
    David

What Ed says, but I think that the bypass change came before the change in the pickup screen. I don't like these. I had the welds fail on a brand-new-from-Porsche one, years ago, and it cut off scavenging nearly all together at high engine speed! Not a good thing, I can tell you. I like the good old fashioned version.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    in the early 80's some of the SC's had an oil pressure relief problem and the temp would rise and the pressure drop.they offered the sump screen update that was like the 78 turbo oil pump. the turbo oil pump had the venturi attached to the pick up to increase surface tension and allow better oil pick up. the screen was separate. in the SC they made the venturi and screen together. but the update also included the new oil pressure relief spring and bottoming pipe to combat the oil pressure/temp problem. i bought a new 7R case in 1980 and it came with the new pressure relief installed. Gordon PS i run these screens an all my engines with conventional pick ups.