Thread: R&R speedometer cable "core"

R&R speedometer cable "core"

For whatever reason, Ol' Ivory ('67 911S) has no cable in the speedometer cable housing. I just installed a replacement core from Pelican PN 901-741-112-01. A good deal at only $19 and beats the hell out of pulling a whole new cable housing through the tunnel.

According to the factory parts manual, there are two cables: a shorter cable at 2442 mm and a longer one 910-741-112-00 at 2540 mm. The core I've installed is about 200 mm (8") too long where as the difference between those listed is 95 mm (3.75"). Manufactured by Gemo, the OEM supplier to Porsche, the bag the new core came in says 2750, presumably mm, oddly, just 200 mm longer than the 901-741-112-00 is supposed to be.

What have others done for SWB speedo cables?

I installed a new cable assembly in Ol' Blue ('67 912) a while back and the thing was too long, most likely the 200 mm mentioned above. Pelican only offers the 2750 version with the wrong part number and Stoddard doesn't offer either (at least on-line catalog wise)..

Thanks!
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

Speedo cable length

Neil, I'm going into the way back machine mode:

When doing the 1965 (1964 production) the speedo inner cable was needed, Ordered out from Stoddard and received a cable shorter than the removed one. Returned and got a second cable different than the first shipped part but still about 2" too short. (The only part numbers in the system at that time).

Trimmed an end from the original cable and silver soldered it to the end of the short one. Lasted about 15 years (150-200K). When it needed a replacement I replaced the whole cable and it's case. (But at that time I was in lightening mode so any .oz weight savings was a good thing.) When the cable goes bad the wires begin to break and the cable gets longer pressing into the instrument and give false readings and noise. (It broke elsewhere than my repair).

Look at the end of the wound cable - it can be shortened. At the target length press the sides to square (about an inch area) and solder to hold its shape/surface, trim to length.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

North Hollywood Speedometer can make you one to the exact, factory specs.

Save a headache and call 'em.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687