Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for history of newly purchased car

Looking for history of newly purchased car

I just purchased Gary Williams' 72 911 T (see his thread in For Sale section) and am looking for previous ownership history. The last 4 numbers of VIN are 0910. Any leads would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Ray

As a follow up to my request for information, I have received a few tidbits so I will post them in hopes of jogging some memories. The car was supposedly sold in Newport Beach, then was garaged by original owner from 1976 to 2005, thus accounting for low mileage.
    Thanks again,
    Ray

This might be a bit long, and it's definitely a W.A.G. but...

I once met a guy in Newport - Little Balboa to be exact. He parked near where I was eating lunch/killing a little time watching the boats head out to sea. He was driving the first VW Synchro (his DD) I had ever seen, and we struck up a conversation about cars.

Once he new I was a true piston head, he asked if I like to see some more cars. First he showed me the garage attached to his home that contained a BMW 12 cylinder and a RR Corniche (his wife's). Not my cup of tee, but quite a collection nonetheless.

Then he took me next door to what was basically a 10 car garage with an apartment over it (he had torn down the house that was there and had built this place - on some of the most expensive land in CA). I could not believe my eyes - 3 or 4 early 911's with less than 20K miles. Some with their original tires. Then there was what said the 2nd 930 imported to the US (a 76 IIRC). And then an RS. And then a twin turbo 993. He also said he had a warehouse in a neighboring city.

So what I am saying is, it's a wild ass guess, but he bought all his cars at Newport Imports, they never left Newport, and he stored quite a few. I hate to say it, but respectfully, I do not believe he is still with us (hope I'm wrong) so I don't mind relating the story. I would guess when I met him he a very fit, late 70 year old gent, and that was at least 10 years ago. IIRC his name was Hal Holliman. A very nice, unassuming guy - and very kind to me. I always wondered what happened to him - there have to be a lot of Newport folks that knew him. Good luck.

Didn't Gary buy it from Curtis A. ?
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Quote Originally Posted by 69Sman View Post
    Didn't Gary buy it from Curtis A. ?
    Is that the one that was sectioned together using a polo red rear and a irish green front, or was it the other way around??? I remember that Curt got very good at fiberglass the summer he had that car....

hmmm....

e

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Is that the one that was sectioned together using a polo red rear and a irish green front, or was it the other way around??? I remember that Curt got very good at fiberglass the summer he had that car....

hmmm....

e
    Wow, Tough crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by daepp View Post
    This might be a bit long, and it's definitely a W.A.G. but...

I once met a guy in Newport - Little Balboa to be exact. He parked near where I was eating lunch/killing a little time watching the boats head out to sea. He was driving the first VW Synchro (his DD) I had ever seen, and we struck up a conversation about cars.

Once he new I was a true piston head, he asked if I like to see some more cars. First he showed me the garage attached to his home that contained a BMW 12 cylinder and a RR Corniche (his wife's). Not my cup of tee, but quite a collection nonetheless.

Then he took me next door to what was basically a 10 car garage with an apartment over it (he had torn down the house that was there and had built this place - on some of the most expensive land in CA). I could not believe my eyes - 3 or 4 early 911's with less than 20K miles. Some with their original tires. Then there was what said the 2nd 930 imported to the US (a 76 IIRC). And then an RS. And then a twin turbo 993. He also said he had a warehouse in a neighboring city.

So what I am saying is, it's a wild ass guess, but he bought all his cars at Newport Imports, they never left Newport, and he stored quite a few. I hate to say it, but respectfully, I do not believe he is still with us (hope I'm wrong) so I don't mind relating the story. I would guess when I met him he a very fit, late 70 year old gent, and that was at least 10 years ago. IIRC his name was Hal Holliman. A very nice, unassuming guy - and very kind to me. I always wondered what happened to him - there have to be a lot of Newport folks that knew him. Good luck.

Thas great, and its a HUGe start. I appreciate the info and will let you all know what I find.

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post

hmmm....

e
    Yes Gary purchased from Curtis and I from Gary. Now that I have that much correct, I would like to go back to original owner.
    And I'd like to set the record straight, I'm fairly sure that is was cobbled together from Libby's Vienna Sausage cans!
    No original parts involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Co911 View Post
    I'm fairly sure that is was cobbled together from Libby's Vienna Sausage cans!
    No original parts involved.
    Nope, wrong again! It was SPAM....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Quote Originally Posted by 69Sman View Post
    Nope, wrong again! It was SPAM....
    Sorry, I stand corrected!