Thread: Bilstein Jack Base Blue Color

Bilstein Jack Base Blue Color

@all

due to my curiosity and the answers at the
    https://forum.porsche356registry.org...423244#p423244
    I had Bilstein contacted to ask about the used colors in their production.
    Unfortunately they had the jack-devision sold and all the archive was destroyed with the sale in the early 90ies.
    The official Bilstein & TyhssenKrupp color codes are close in shade, but only for the "modern" products

the "modern" Blues:
    RAL 5015 Sky Blue
    RAL 5010 Gentian Blue
    RAL 5007 Brillant Blue

the "modern" Yellow:
    RAL 1018 Zink Yellow

These above shades do not fit, nor any other RAL color I had in my cards.
    So I had some old Bilsteins with original color sourced, in order to get enough material to determine the usable color coding for restoration of our 901 D type jacks.

The one is a 312GB, said to be from the 40ies. The 312 series was used for the BMW KS 750 series and after WWII also for the BMW Isetta and more. It could handle up to 1250kg. The second one is a EL20, which could lift up to 2000kg. Together with my 901 type jack, and a very original Bilstein VW equal, I went to the color guys to do an electronic read out. This was more difficult than I thought, due to the curved surface, as only two points could be fixed.

Well, at least now I can recommend the correct color tone for the base of the jack.
    result is now pretty pretty close - I would say 95% - the 5% missing is the perfect analysis in a laboratory…

color tone is
    Akzo Nobel Sikkens Color Map
    Blue, Uni
    468 G1

I have made a 2K version in matte, oil and scratch resistant.

The often mentioned Volkswagen Sea Blue, code L360, is not fitting - see the pic of the both shades - it is a shade too green.....

Please do keep in mind:
    as written in the 356registry there might be different shades out, depending on the year of production…
    „Bilstein used three different shades of blue on the jacks, ….They used the lightest blue on jacks from mid fifities too about 1961. Then a bit darker blue with the last of the T5's to the end of 1963. It seems that they then went to the the darkest blue with C jack's. „
    Bob Lee on the 356reg.

I have the lighter blue version also available as a two sample jacks with original color, but have not determined these yet.

enjoy & best regards from bavaria

haul
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by haul; 04-24-2023 at 01:21 PM.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Received some pics from the restoration workshop. They had a bunch of jacks to be painted…
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by haul; 04-28-2023 at 05:11 AM.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Great data presentation!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100